PDA

View Full Version : colour/B&W BMP files

fast Freddie
October 26, 2010, 20:25:30
Hi, used my DBK last night on Jupiter set Y800, Y800 with debayering NOT enabled. Captured AVIs downloaded into Registax, debayered there, nice colour, no problems. I then set up to capture a sequence of 30 second exposures of M57 to BMP files and download to deep sky stacker. I didn't change any of my settings (i.e still Y800, Y800 debayering NOT enabled) My BMP files appear to be B&W though. I can't get any colour in DSS or Registax. What am I doing wrong? Should I have a different set-up than Y800, Y800 or is the colour trapped in there somewhere and I just need to figure out how to get it out in DSS? Thanks for your help. Freddie.

Stefan Geissler
October 27, 2010, 10:14:50
HI Freddie,

I checked this using IC Capture 2.1 and 2.2 and found the bitmaps saved as 8 bit gray scale containing the BayerMosaic pattern of the sensor. You may use Paint to confirm this.

However, I loaded this file in Registax (3) and found no option for debayering for this bitmap. Thus, may be this is your problem? In this case you may ask the Registax programmer.

fast Freddie
October 27, 2010, 14:09:51
Hi Stefan, thanks for the reply. I had a bit more of a play in Deep Sky Stacker and the file list is showing the image as 8 bit RGB. I guess I just need to work a bit more with DSS to get the colour out, do you have any experience with DSS? Are there other setups I could use other than Y800, Y800 to get colour bmp files? Thanks Freddie.

fast Freddie
October 27, 2010, 15:55:22
I have attached the image info. file. Are you able to tell from this if the image file is in fact colour? I am still having trouble getting any colour from the actual image, which is too large to upload here. Thanks

Stefan Geissler
October 27, 2010, 17:12:12
I am very sorry, but I do not know how to interpret this file. Dod you ask the Registax author?
Also I do not know, what "DSS" is. Bit 8 bit RGB is correct. If you can see a small pixel raster, caused by the Bayer Mosaic pattern, on the BMP fie, then it is absolutely fine.

bwallan
October 27, 2010, 20:01:50
Are there other setups I could use other than Y800, Y800 to get colour bmp files? Thanks Freddie.

Please see http://tinyurl.com/bwaDBKCodecs .

I normally use BY8 when capturing BMP files. They are automatically color, don't require debayering AND they work just fine in ALL stacking software.

Enjoy!

bwa

fast Freddie
October 28, 2010, 00:26:20
Thanks, I assume you have debayering enabled? I'll give it a go if these clouds ever go away !!

bwallan
October 28, 2010, 03:16:51
Thanks, I assume you have debayering enabled?
Never looked. Whatever the default is. Whatever I see on screen is what I get when capturing BMP's.

bwa

Stefan Geissler
October 28, 2010, 08:31:36
You may attach your image zipped to the post and I can try to check, whether it contains raw data.

fast Freddie
October 28, 2010, 13:19:53
Hi, zip is attached. Thanks Freddie

Stefan Geissler
October 28, 2010, 15:31:38
Hi Freddie,

the image is contains the Bayer Mosaic Pattern, thus you did all correctly with IC Capture. Now you need a software that debayers the images, so you get the colors.

fast Freddie
October 28, 2010, 16:19:16
Hi thanks for checking. I guess I am doing something wrong when I process in Deep Sky Stacker. If I want to capture colour bmp files already debayered whilst I sort out my problem with DSS, how should I capture these. For a series of BMP images at ~30 seconds exposure each, is is best to have the camera debayer or debayer in IC capture. I obviously want to keep as much data as possible. What would you suggest would be best and what should I use instead of Y800/Y800? Thanks Freddie