PDA

View Full Version : IS Capture Number of frames in AVI

Philip Masding
October 8, 2010, 10:35:40
Hi
I have a DBK21AU04.AS and I am running IC Capture AS.2.1.75344

When I record an AVI using the region of interest option the result seems to have many more frames than I expect. For example last night I recorded 22 frames of Jupiter (according to IC Capture) BUT when I load it into Registax and other programs they state that it has many thousands of frames. As a result Registax will not process the file.

The size of the file is consistent with it having only 22 frames.

This problem did not occur when I recorded a full 640x480 file a few minutes later.

Philip Masding

Stefan Geissler
October 8, 2010, 16:23:19
Hello Philip,

I think, I can check this only, if I could see the AVI file on my own. However, how big is the AVI file with the small images?

Philip Masding
October 9, 2010, 09:24:57
Hi Stefan
Thanks for your reply. I have attached a small demonstartion file. When I recorded it in ICCapture it said there were 11 frames. When I load it in to Registax and several other programs they all say it has 1942 frames!

cheers
Philip Masding

Stefan Geissler
October 11, 2010, 10:24:00
Hello,

I am able to reproduce the problem. You performend following steps:
1.) Select YUY2 video format
2.) Specify a Region of Interrest
3.) Set "Unspecified" as codec
4.) Capture 20 frames

The result is a weird number of frames shown in the AVI header. It seems this is a bug, we have to investigate, but may be its a problem in DirectShow, which we can not handle.

I suggest to use Y800 video format and select either "Uncompressed Y800" or "Unspecified" as codec. For processing with Registax, you better use "Uncompressed Y800" as codec.

Philip Masding
November 3, 2010, 09:27:40
Hi Stefan
Have you found a bug associated with the avi file size? I have managed to use Y800 with uncompressed and unspecified codes in Registax. Despite that there is still something strange about these files. Other programs refuse to read them. For example I have just tried to load a file which definitely has 8 frames into MATLAB (which is usually very reliable) and I can see it says 14 frames in the file information and it refuses to read it.

I should also mention that using ROI has nothing to do with the problem since it occurs for full 640x480 frames as well.

regards
Philip Masding

Stefan Geissler
November 3, 2010, 10:02:38
Philip

I must admit, I can not say anything to MATLAB, since our trial license has expired.

However, the Y800 video format can not be read by the outdated Video for Windows using programs. They can be read by DirectShow using programs. In order to do so, the IAT_YUX.AX file must be installed and registered on the computer, thus DirectShow can find this file. It is needed to convert the Y800 video format into the format the used program uses.
The file is installed by the driver and by the IC Capture installation. It is located in the Windows\System32 directory.

If the media player can show the AVI file, then all DirectShow applications should be able to load it too.

Michael Kirmse
November 4, 2010, 11:22:34
The attached zip file contains an installer for the IAT_YUX.AX file.

Philip Masding
November 17, 2010, 21:58:10
Hi Michael and Stefan
Thankyou very much for fixing this problem. I have just recorded a video with YUY2 and ROI and it loaded into Registax correctly.

regards
Philip Masding