PDA

View Full Version : DBK 21AU04.AS Images not Delivered

ChrisJW
September 28, 2010, 11:57:52
I purchased a DBK 21AU04.AS camera a few days ago and it appears to be not receiving images

The drivers appear to have installed correctly. The camera appears under Device Manager but does not appear under “Scanners and Cameras” listed directly under Control Panel

The PC is a Desk Top, Intel Dual Core 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM and high Speed USB 2.0 ports. OS is Windows XP SP3. When attempting to use the camera under IC Capture the message “The device is in live mode but does not appear to deliver images” is displayed
Also tried the camera using WXAstro Capture. Same result no image

Tried installing the camera and software on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 with similar specifications . The same result no images received
Also used a different USB cable. It made no difference

Appreciate advice as to if I am installing the camera correctly or if the camera is possibly faulty

Regards,
Chris…..

bwallan
September 28, 2010, 21:22:48
“The device is in live mode but does not appear to deliver images”
Regards,
Chris…..

Chris,

I have a DBK41 that does exactly the same thing on occasions, primarily if the camera sees no light, i.e.: a lense cap on the camera or scope it is mounted on.

Your camera is probably ok...

bwa

Stefan Geissler
September 29, 2010, 08:10:44
The message “The device is in live mode but does not appear to deliver images” means, the live video has been started and the camera, driver etc reported all is running well now. The problem is, within the expected time interval no images are received by IC Capture. This issue may have several reasons:

1. USB cable
If the USB cable has a low quality, then this leads to frame drops. Thus the there are no images provided or the live video freezes. In this case we suggest to try another USB cable first.

2. Other devices on the same USB controller
If there are other devices connected to the same USB controller as the camera, then they can interrupt the data transfer between the camera and the USB controller. This leads to missing data blocks, thus the camera driver will drop the frame, even if the USB device is not used actively. In this case the USB device should be removed from the USB controller.

3. CPU power saving
Modern CPUs have extensive power saving options which are in use, if the CPU load is low. If the CPU starts power saving, then the busses eSATA, FireWire and USB are slowed down too. Unfortunately the camera keeps sending the image data blocks with full speed, thus it is to be expected, that data blocks are missed and not saved in memory. Right now we have no good solution for this problem, we can make some suggestions only:
Maybe the BIOS allows to disable the C-State change. In the American Megatrends BIOS this can be found at „Advanced BIOS Settings“-“CPU Features“. There is a „SpeedStep“ and an „Intel ® C-STATE tech“ setting, which can be disabled. If you do so, the computer will run with full power all the time.
Alternatively it is possible to generate CPU load with a program like „cpustress“. This avoids the CPU changing the C-States and power options.
If Windows XP is in use, then you may try the program „SpeedSwitchXP“ (http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html) and disable the promote and demote of C-States. Maybe this helps for USB cameras too, we are not sure about this.
However, these hints are related to Intel CPUs. We have no experiences with AMD CPUs.

(This was a standard textmodule.) However, we work on the last point.

ChrisJW
September 29, 2010, 13:02:09
Chris,

I have a DBK41 that does exactly the same thing on occasions, primarily if the camera sees no light, i.e.: a lense cap on the camera or scope it is mounted on.

Your camera is probably ok...

bwa

Thanks Bwa,

Not the case here no lense cap on
I would expect the camera to respond to surrounding light..desk lamp etc at low exposure rates...but no reaction at all from the camera always a dark screen
Even my old webcam..less sensitive would react to light indication it was functional
But no reaction under any circumstances from this camera which is leading me to think that maybe the unit is faulty

Regards,
Chris.....

Stefan Geissler
September 29, 2010, 13:10:00
Chris,

as I wrote above: The frames seem to be dropped. That is, what the error message says. Incomplete frames are dropped by the driver. The frames may are incomplete because of the three points I mentioned above. Even today I had a similar case, exchanging the cable fixed the problem. If you have an USB printer, then you may take its cable for testing.

ChrisJW
September 29, 2010, 13:22:28
Stefan,

Thanks for the response

1. I have changed the USB cable three times. The last cable I know to be of good quality. The problem was not resolved
2. All other USB devices have been removed. As an experiment I installed a USB 2.0 PCI card to use ports other than those running on the motherboard...the problem persists
3. For the CPU Power Saving..I will follow up you suggestions here and advise

Regards,
Chris.....

bwallan
September 29, 2010, 19:16:20
Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've done additional experimentation w/ laptop and DBK41. Found the following:

1. Problem only occurs when I'm running laptop on battery power. When plugged in I don't have the problem, at least to this point.

2. I swapped out my very long old USB cable for an active powered USB cable. I cannot recreate the problem with the new cable running the laptop on either battery or plug power.

Looks like my intermittent imaging problems were a combination of laptop battery operation and USB cable.

I can, however, recreate the problem under all configurations (in about 25% of my tests) by totally blocking off ALL light to the camera, i.e.: camera face down on my mousepad.

Normally all I have to do to recover from the error message is close the message, right mouse click on the display area, change any property and I'm back in operation.

Clear skies! And thanks again for helping with this little annoyance with an otherwise great CCD.

bwa

P.S.: I sounds like Chris' problems may be more serious than mine OR be resulting from something totally different!?

Stefan Geissler
September 30, 2010, 14:33:32
Hello,

the problems are serious. But he may looks here: http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?p=35507#post35507

It is similar case.

ChrisJW
September 30, 2010, 15:47:07
Stefan,

Looked at my PC bios but no options as you mentioned
Followed your other suggestions for ensuring the PC is delivering full power but no change with my problem

I appreciate the issue you mention with dropped frames as I have previously used modified webcams and a camera manufactured by SAC..now out of business...which displayed this issue and dropped frames under various circustances

I don't believe this is the heart of the problem I am seeing with the DBK as it delivers no images. No reaction to any light source

To try to resolve this issue I will contact my local Astro Shop where I purchased the unit to see if they can install the camera and if they have similar problems or are successfull.
Also hopefully they will still have another unit for comparsion
Keep you informed

Regards,
Chris.....

Stefan Geissler
September 30, 2010, 16:24:34
Chris,

To try to resolve this issue I will contact my local Astro Shop where I purchased the unit to see if they can install the camera and if they have similar problems or are successfull.

Good idea. Please do so.

Stefan Geissler
October 1, 2010, 11:01:02
Hello,

For Windows 7 users we have released a new FireWire Performance Manager (its also for USB), that can fix frame drop problems and also can fix damaged frames. Please download the FireWire Performanc Manager from http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/downloads/tools/.

ChrisJW
October 12, 2010, 13:51:32
Chris,

Good idea. Please do so.

Stefan,

Returned the unit to the Astro Shop where purchased. They also had the same error message and the camera did not receive images
Fortunately they had another camera in stock which they verified was functional
They exchanged cameras for me
This new camera functioned straight away when connected to my system after I arrived back home
The original camera is faulty
They will return it

Regards,
Chris....

Stefan Geissler
October 13, 2010, 11:37:08
Chris,

Very well. I guess, I will see your old camera in the next week on my desk...

ChrisJW
October 13, 2010, 13:18:55
Stefan,

Tried out the replacement camera last night
Very impressed with it's sensitivity and image quality so far
It lives up to others reports and reviews
Overal a well presented product

IC Capture is a flexible and easy to use software with nice options..like displaying the required toolbars and the easy record option

Intend to do a comparsion with wxAstro Capture in the next few days

I am experiencing dropped frames but this is system related and not camera related so I will do some research in this area and follow various suggestions on the forum

As when you purchase new astro gear the clouds arrive...so tonight is ruled out ;)

Be interested to know what you find with the faulty unit if you are prepared to share this information..I can supply the serial number

Thanks for communication and support to help resolve my initial problem

Regards,
Chris.....

Stefan Geissler
October 13, 2010, 16:41:08
Chris,

regarding dropped frames, you may look here at the "Processor Idle State Manager" at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/downloads/tools/.

ChrisJW
October 14, 2010, 13:38:41
Thanks Stefan,

Will check it out

Regards,
Chris.....