PDA

View Full Version : video length is short than it says

ranster
August 22, 2010, 19:43:28
I have a new DBK41 that I use mainly for moon. I use BY8 with RGB24. ( I use that because I like to go straight to Avistack, and Avistack doesn't debayer Y800 raw color) Anyway, when I take a one minute video I get about 400 frames according to the display while capturing. But when I start processing it is actually only about 30 seconds with about half as many frames.
Why are all my videos always much shorter (in time and frames)than the counter says it was?
Hope i explained that clearly enough. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Randy

bwallan
August 22, 2010, 22:33:09
Hope i explained that clearly enough. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Randy,

Interesting? I found exactly the opposite per http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=323515 . I'd capture 300 frames and get 9000 when processing...

I would love your results!

bwa

Stefan Geissler
August 23, 2010, 07:56:51
Hi Randy,

I assume you receive many frame drops while you write the AVI file. Thus your AVI file is much shorter. I suggest to defragment your harddisc and try again. You do not need to wait for the moon, you can do the test without an telesope on your camera. It is just to capture the AVI file and count the frames.

However, I have no experiences with AVIStack on my own.

ranster
August 23, 2010, 23:57:50
Stefan,

You were right. I needed to defragment. Problem solved. That explains my lower frame rate, as well as my dropped frames. I'm new to astrophotography and learn something new every time I go out.

Thank you for the quick reply and the correct solution.

Randy

maxellwill
October 6, 2010, 12:22:16
Maybe your memory is full. thats all..

Stefan Geissler
October 6, 2010, 13:40:17
Maybe your memory is full. thats all..
I do not think so. The problem has been solved by defragmenting the hard disc, thus the writing head of the harddisc has less movements, so it is faster. That is, what Randy confirmed.