PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question re DBK41 exposure setting vs resulting video??

bwallan
August 7, 2010, 19:18:59
I captured a 20 minute (1200 sec) video last night (of M45) with an exposure setting of 4 seconds using UYVY as the capture codec and RGB24 as the save codec; IC Capture showed ~300 frames captured. Good so far.

I was expecting to see a video w/ about 300 frames. In Registax the video shows 9000 frames!? What did I set wrong? If I believe the 300 frames, it appears to have been captured at 30 fps which is double the DBK41 max. capture rate (4x the UYVY capture rate!). OR the 20 min. of video was captured at and/or changed to 7.5 fps (20 x 60 x 7.5 fps of UYVY = 9000).

Analysis of the frames in Registax look like the 4 sec exposures I saw on the screen BUT they didn't stack the way I expected AND I'm not sure what I really ended up with!?

Confused! What did I actually get? How do I get the 300 frames I expected? 9000 frames take FOREVER to process in Registax! Do I have to capture individual images as opposed to video?

Clear skies!

bwa

Michael Kirmse
August 9, 2010, 10:20:12
Dear bwa,

The problem is that IC Capture uses some kind of time stamp, thus you can play the recorded video with 7,5 fps in your media player. Unfortunately Registax is not able to recognize this. You will recognize that the avi file is as small as expected, because it only contains the images you recorded.
You may avoid this problem by taking single pictures instead of an avi, using the Image Sequence Bar (Ctrl + 4). The "Automated Sequence" must be set to 0 seconds.

Best regards

Michael Kirmse

bwallan
August 9, 2010, 20:08:12
Dear bwa,

The problem is that IC Capture uses some kind of time stamp, thus you can play the recorded video with 7,5 fps in your media player. Unfortunately Registax is not able to recognize this. You will recognize that the avi file is as small as expected, because it only contains the images you recorded.
You may avoid this problem by taking single pictures instead of an avi, using the Image Sequence Bar (Ctrl + 4). The "Automated Sequence" must be set to 0 seconds.

Michael,

I did notice the AVI file was about the size I expected for the number of frames captured... now to get at them!?

I tried capturing individual pictures BUT when I set the Automated Sequence to 0 it wouldn't capture anything. When I set it to anything else it waits the number of seconds set then captures whatever image is displayed. Not too sure what is wrong with the zero setting? But it works with 4 secs.

bwa

Michael Kirmse
August 10, 2010, 08:20:29
Dear bwa,

If you set the Automated Sequence to 0, IC Capture takes every frame the camera delivers. With an exposure of 4 seconds, there will be a picture every 4 seconds, but IC Capture does not know when the next image will be delivered.
Please try once again with exposure of 4 and Automated Sequence of 0, while having a look at the folder that you set for saving the images.

Best regards

Michael Kirmse

bwallan
August 10, 2010, 18:54:43
Please try once again with exposure of 4 and Automated Sequence of 0, while having a look at the folder that you set for saving the images.

Thanks. That was the problem. With a setting of 0 there was no indication of the frames being captured. They were!

Thanks again!

bwa