PDA

View Full Version : Distortion Correction

Edda
May 20, 2010, 10:28:12
Hello, maybe someone has already solved this problem.

We are using a wide angled camera for facerecording and are now having problems with a rather disturbing barrell distortion of the video images. It is important that the video images are not distorted or streched, for facial expression is an important information we use.

I have found two source codes that were written for image processing and used for example in photoshop plug-ins or video processing programs. We were thinking that maybe you could use one of the default filters to write a framefilter with the source code that will correct the distortion in the device path. C++ seems appropriate, it is also important that there is (if possible) no delay due to the distortion-removal.
OR someone knows a better way to solve this problem.

Ideas? Filters? C++ genius?

Cyrille
May 21, 2010, 17:52:35
We implemented a lookup table barrel distorsion correction algorithm based on a calibrated set of points for 1280x960 images. Could not do the C++ filter programming so we did it in VB inside our application. It takes about 0.2s... not quite realtime but good enough for us.

When we move to .NET we will try to write a filter....

Cheers
Cyrille

Edda
June 1, 2010, 15:20:25
Thank you Cyrille!
The algorithm you describe would probably also be fine for us. We thought not using any own software before presentation would get us realtime more likely. Though .2s will probably do. We'll keep trying for a bit...

Thanks!

lw3234
February 24, 2011, 12:54:58
I came into the same situation and I am also in the need of a distortion filter.

Have you made any progress with it so far ?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,
Waigel