PDA

View Full Version : Installer issues & using SharpDevelop 3.2

elha
April 30, 2010, 15:13:51
Hi,
today I downloaded and installed IC Imaging Control .NET V3.1 to check it without installing Visual Studio 2008.

First problem was a missing "gacutil.exe".
This was solved by installing the Windows SDK for Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 (V6.1). Only the .NET tools are needed, download the Web Setup from Microsoft and install only needed components may save much time.
I found some hints in the web that using gacutil from installer is not the recommended way to copy files to the Global Assembly Cache:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/11/04/why-to-not-use-gacutil-exe-in-an-application-setup.aspx

Second problem is of cosmetical kind. The installer also installed Visual Studio 2008 runtimes from a self-expanding exe. The unpacked temporary files are stored in the root of my harddisk and are not deleted after completing installation.

But - I had success.
With my old trick for the licensing
(http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=318956)
I'm now able to develop simple imaging applications with SharpDevelop 3.2 IDE ...

Stefan Geissler
May 3, 2010, 10:20:53
Hi

First problem was a missing "gacutil.exe".
As far as I know, this with be solved in IC 3.2, because InnoSetup, the installer we use, will contain functionality for saving .NET controls in the Global Assembly Cache.

Second problem is of cosmetical kind. The installer also installed Visual Studio 2008 runtimes from a self-expanding exe. The unpacked temporary files are stored in the root of my harddisk and are not deleted after completing installation.

We know about this issue and are annoyed about this too. We use the Microsoft Runtime setup, which creates all these files and does not delete them after use. Unfortunately we can not do anything about this.

But - I had success.
With my old trick for the licensing...

This can be done much easier with IC 3.1. You can pass the license key to the constructor:
ICImagingControl ic = new ICImagingcontrol("Insert license key here");

elha
May 3, 2010, 10:32:28
Dear Stefan,

thank you for the newest information!
The hint with adding license string to constructor was blown away from my mind.
But I remember that I did it so some month before.
Waiting for release 3.2...