PDA

View Full Version : stripes

Abbe
April 2, 2010, 17:10:23
Hello,
I'm new to this. Could you tell me what causes these stripes when I use a DFK21 AU 04? It happens on any 'scope. codex, frame rate, shutter speed I use so I suspect it's to do with the Dell Inspiron 5100 I 'inherited' from my son. I usually use a Mac but sadly can't with this camera.

Have attached an example.

Thanks,
Abbe

Captmgik
April 3, 2010, 08:22:40
I have the same issue when I use the camera to capture the sun with my PST camera. I believe that this effect is caused by a light reflection in the camera...something called Newton's Rings (I think). What I have not heard is if there is a solution. I'll be interested in the responses you get from the Support folks.

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2010, 14:00:39
Hi Abbe,

Please let me know the camera settings and the image processing you have done to achieve this image. I had tried to reproduce them, but with no success. For doing so, I used a controlled light environment, full gain, different exposure times and stacking of 200 frames. I got no diagonal lines.

JohnM
April 6, 2010, 15:25:34
Those aren't Newton's Rings. A friend got those diagonal lines, not as bad, after he got his DMK21.
It had to be returned for a defective chip.

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2010, 15:46:13
I do not know, what causes these lines, but I need the camera settings in order to reproduce the problem, if possible.

@JohnM: Were the diagonal lines gone with an exchanged camera? What computer did your friend used?

JohnM
April 6, 2010, 16:42:57
Stefan,
It's been a while. I had loaned him mine to try and he decided to buy one.
I'll have to ask him exactly what the details were.

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2010, 16:44:07
John,

Do not bother with it. I will wait for the camera properties and check on my own.

Abbe
April 6, 2010, 21:38:59
Hi Stephan,

Thanks. I'll take some more shots and note details as soon as conditions allow. Hope to have some sun tomorrow. Thanks also to others for comments.
Abbe

Abbe
April 6, 2010, 21:41:01
Hi Stephan,

Thanks. I'll take some more shots and note details as soon as conditions allow. Hope to have some sun tomorrow. Thanks also to others for comments.

Abbe

Stefan Geissler
April 7, 2010, 09:06:40
Hello Abbe,

You do not need any special to photograph. You can use the camera, keep the sensor covered and snap images as usual.

Abbe
April 9, 2010, 21:17:17
Hello Stephan,
I took these before I saw your last post about covering the sensor. I will give that a try. In the meanwhile I hope this provides some clues.
Details for both images:
Coronado PST. DBK21AU04. Dell Inspiron 5100. WindowsXP
IS Capture.AS2.1
Settings: Codex Y800. Gain 796. fps 30. Exp 1/54

Image img6IS.jpg
Procesed in Registax 4. Not Debayered. Stacksize limited to 6.Wavelet 6:1 value 58.3 No other post processing.

Image img6ISD.jpg
Procesed in Registax 4. Debayered GB. Stacksize limited to 6.Wavelet 6:1 value 58.3 No other post processing.

Additional information.

These stripes are clearly visible on computer screen before and during capture with IS Capture. Wavelet process makes them look worse.

I got similar stripes with 7.5, 15, 60 frames per sec. also with BY8 codex.

I do not get them with my DMK 21AU04 Firewire used with the Coronado, Dell and ISCapture

Abbe

mdurkin
February 26, 2011, 20:47:02
Hi Abbe,

Looks like I have the same issue that you did. Was there a solution to your problem?

I'm using a DFK 31AU03 AS and a Coronado Hydrogen Alpha PST. My stripes appear to bit a bit further spaced apart compared to the two pictures you've posted.

-Mike D

Hello Stephan,
I took these before I saw your last post about covering the sensor. I will give that a try. In the meanwhile I hope this provides some clues.
Details for both images:
Coronado PST. DBK21AU04. Dell Inspiron 5100. WindowsXP
IS Capture.AS2.1
Settings: Codex Y800. Gain 796. fps 30. Exp 1/54

Image img6IS.jpg
Procesed in Registax 4. Not Debayered. Stacksize limited to 6.Wavelet 6:1 value 58.3 No other post processing.

Image img6ISD.jpg
Procesed in Registax 4. Debayered GB. Stacksize limited to 6.Wavelet 6:1 value 58.3 No other post processing.

Additional information.

These stripes are clearly visible on computer screen before and during capture with IS Capture. Wavelet process makes them look worse.

I got similar stripes with 7.5, 15, 60 frames per sec. also with BY8 codex.

I do not get them with my DMK 21AU04 Firewire used with the Coronado, Dell and ISCapture

Abbe

tea drinker
March 1, 2011, 21:17:35
I have occasionally seen them on jupiter images. I have a DBK41Au
Yes sharpening in registax 5.1 makes them worse as is normal with some repetitive types of noise. But on the same camera I also have known good shots SINCE then. I am far more likely to see them with 5x Televue Barlow than with 2x (cheap) barlow. This is probably pushing me into sifferent exposure settings. I also have a 5x meade barlow I can make a comparison.
General advice from me:
Be careful that all your direct X stuff is up to date
Try the camera on different USB ports.
If possible try another cable (not necessary in my case)
Use latest version driver from imaging source.
Restart if you see this (good time to change USB port)

IC 2.1 gave both good and bad images, so it may be independent of this app.

I am running a process in registax 5.1 now of a vid with these properties:
Gain 669,
shutter 1/27
Gamma 116

attached it

tea drinker
March 1, 2011, 21:24:48
Here's a good one taken 3 days later, apologies *someone* didn't record the settings used :-(
946 frames in this one vs 751 in the baddie. All y800 codec.

martinc
April 21, 2012, 21:18:37
I am having the same problem:

y800 uncompressed PST

The lines are actually visible in the live view.

Is there a solution to this

Thanks,

Martin

Stefan Geissler
April 23, 2012, 08:18:53
Martin,

I suppose, you use an h-alpha filter, right? This can cause an interference with the sensor glass, which was mounted by Sony on the sensor. Until know, we saw this only on the 1280x960 sensors. The problem can be solved only by canting (correct word?) the h-Alpha filter, so it matches the camera sensor. You can also try to rotate the camera. Unfortunately this is the only solution I have.