PDA

View Full Version : external power DMK31AF03

astrogerard
March 13, 2010, 16:26:41
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to connect external power to the DMK31AF03?

I have the 6-Pin to 4-Pin Firewire Cable with Power Jack but since these camera's are not designed for Astronomy the lenght is only 2 meters. This is of course way too short.

So I was thinking of opening up the camera and add a power socket. I know the moderator of this forum will get a heart attack from this idea but I can't see any other solution.

--Gerard

Stefan Geissler
March 15, 2010, 11:02:33
Gerad,

I got a heart attack :-)

However, you may look in the internet for the wiring diagram of FireWire cables. Maybe this can help you a little bit.

You open the camera by loosing the 4 screws on the back panel. The black frame can be removed and also the black plate. Then you see the power board with the connectors. This can be removed too, but please be carefult not to remove the other boars, because your camera can get out of focus.

It is no good idea to löten on the PCBs of the camera.

A better idea may is using an active FireWire hub.

astrogerard
March 15, 2010, 19:03:29
Thanks Stefan,

I know it will void anything close to warranty or support and you shouldn't advise me to do so, but......

On the topmost pcb there is an unused space for a connector J1. Can this J1 position be of any use regarding my question?

Kind regards,
Gerard

Stefan Geissler
March 17, 2010, 12:27:49
Hi Gerard,

I am very sorry, but I can not answer this question, because I simple do not know anything about the board layout.