PDA

View Full Version : One camera multiple outputs... GigE?

ertem
March 4, 2010, 04:27:51
Can I use a GigE camera to broadcast to multiple computers running IC Imaging Control?

My application requires taking the same camera output to multiple destinations. Will a GigE camera multicast to computers on the same net?

Would I need to modify any of my code, or are the GigE cameras identical to USB and 1394 cameras in relation to the IC Imaging Control API's. (Could I just create the correct LastSelectedCamera.xml and leave the rest to the driver?)

Actually the problem is even simpler. Currently using 1024x768 USB camera. A last minute feature request was to have an additional analog NTSC output (raw, with no processing or overlays) from the camera.

I was thinking of running the same camera on two processors, and useing the second computer to just generate composite out. Since a USB camera won't go to two computers, I was wondering if I could do this with something like a DFK 31BG03.H?

Now, if there was a USB camera (DFK 31BU03 equivalent) that also had a composite output that would solve my problem even better.

Thanks Stefan...

mce

Stefan Geissler
March 4, 2010, 12:07:07
Hi,

Can I use a GigE camera to broadcast to multiple computers running IC Imaging Control?

No, the camera has no multi broadcase (or what is it called). Only one client can listed to the camera at one point of time.

Would I need to modify any of my code, or are the GigE cameras identical to USB and 1394 cameras in relation to the IC Imaging Control API's. (Could I just create the correct LastSelectedCamera.xml and leave the rest to the driver?)

No, no changes necessary. Same code as for FireWire and USB.

Our cameras have no composite output. Thus plug is the trigger input.

tea drinker
March 31, 2010, 20:13:05
Unsure of how the device works, but if you have a Gigabit ethernet switch, you could plug in the device and the "control PC" into the switch, as well as another several devices.
If you enabled port mirroring for the switch port that the camera connects to, you could mirror that to the "listening" pc's which would receive the exact same packets as what the camera sends.
Whether this would work with the capture software or not, I have no idea.
It's a purely experimental idea!

Stefan Geissler
April 1, 2010, 11:19:44
Hello

I am very sorry, but this wont work either.

BC_minded
June 21, 2010, 04:27:17
Hi,

No, the camera has no multi broadcase (or what is it called). Only one client can listed to the camera at one point of time.

No, no changes necessary. Same code as for FireWire and USB.

Our cameras have no composite output. Thus plug is the trigger input.

Thanks buddy for sharing this info. I thought it was possible..;-)