PDA

View Full Version : Multiple cameras, Firewire or GigE?

Cesar
March 2, 2010, 21:46:49
I am designing a system that needs to control 4 Color Camera from one PC.
I decided that the best choice is 4 x DFK 41BG02.H but I do not have experience working with GigE cameras.
I worked in the past with the DFK 41BF02.H and I think for me is less risky to use that model but I would like to use use this time, the bus speed of the GigE interface and less cables.
I need to take images at the same time up to 7.5 fps from each camera and syncronize the shoot from an external trigger.
Can I use the same trigger signal for the 4 cameras or I have to make a small delay between the 4 trigger signals ?
Then I will store the images as Video as YUY2 Format in 4 different files, one for each camera.
Does the GigE camera has POE?

I will appreciate your experience. Also in the future I would like to migrate the software to run under linux.

Best Regards,

Cesar Ametller

Stefan Geissler
March 3, 2010, 10:13:17
Hello Cesar,

The job can be done with the DFK 41BG02 with BY8@15 fps or YUVY@7.5fps. You need two GigE Network adapters in your computer.
If you use FireWire cameras, then you can use BY8@7.5 fps and need two FireWire adapters to.

You can trigger all cameras at the same point of time, there is no delay necessary.

Cesar
March 3, 2010, 17:15:12
Dear Stefan:

Thank you for your fast answer.
It has been very useful.
You mention YUVY@7.5fps, I understand that YUVY dos not exist.
I supposed that you said YUYV@7.5fps =YUY2@7.5fps=YUNV@7.5fps and = V422@7.5fps.
Please confirm if the GigE cameras has POE.
I need to GigE Network adapters because the bandwith?

Thank you again.

Best Regards,

Cesar

Stefan Geissler
March 4, 2010, 12:11:49
Cesar,

Please confirm if the GigE cameras has POE.
No, the cameras have no POE. An external powersupply is needed.

I need to GigE Network adapters because the bandwith?
Right. The YUV formats are two bytes per pixel formats. Thus you can use only two of the cameras on one GigE port. The BY8, Y800 and RGB32 formats have only one byte per pixel, so you can achive double frame rate. (RGB32 is same as Y800, but the RGB colors are calculated in the computer.)

Cesar
June 7, 2010, 23:55:03
Dear Stefan:

Thank you for your help.
I am using 4 DFK 41BF02 to capture an AVI Video file at YUY2@7.5fps for each camera.
It works fine if I use the IC Capture 2.1 TIS software. I can record from the 4 cameras 4 different AVIs files at YUY2@7.5fps.
I tried to start the programming using the "Capture Video File" example in your CD recording first from one camera.
I tried the VB6 version .NET version and CPP version but all three examples have the same error. When I start to record the program stop an give an error. It stop always in the same code starting to go alive after I press record.

Any Help will be useful.

Best Regards,

Cesar

Stefan Geissler
June 8, 2010, 13:21:20
What is the exact error message?