PDA

View Full Version : CCD Selection

TREST
February 5, 2010, 22:19:53
I have been looking at getting one of the DMK41 cameras, and was wondering what the real difference in performance is between Firewire and GIGE versions, other than the availability of firewire ports on laptops and computers. I realize the USB version is probably too slow for some applications of the camera, and if there are still restrictions on performance with the firewire version that calls for the GIGE connector, I would probably go with that option.

My plan is to use this camera with an Orion 8" Newtonian telescope, connected to a laptop running the Linux software. I'd like to get as high a datarate as possible from the camera, and money is not as much an issue. Should I go with the Firewire or GIGE version?

Thanks

oliver_p
February 8, 2010, 09:28:15
I realize the USB version is probably too slow for some applications of the camera, and if there are still restrictions on performance with the firewire version that calls for the GIGE connector, I would probably go with that option.
Should I go with the Firewire or GIGE version?
Thanks
Hi,
1280*960 pixel at 15fps (max of the DMK41 and the CCD used) with uncompressed 8 bit data depth requires ~140MBit/s transfer speed. That's absolutely no problem for a properly working IEEE1394a or USB2.0 bus/interface. The only advantage of GiGE I see here is the possible cable length. Personally I would opt for the 1394a variant...

Best regards,
Oliver