PDA

View Full Version : complete n00b with questions

BabaG
February 4, 2010, 23:23:24
just got a dfk61buc02 with the intent of capturing image sequences in raw and jpg formats. when i open the image sequence bar and settings on ic capture, i see an option for bmp and jpg but none for raw images. how do i capture a sequence of stills in raw format?

and, secondly, i have sequences to shoot to a predetermined length. they will require somewhere around 50000 frames. when i read some of the documentation, it seems that the frame numbering allows for three leading zeroes. that would mean that the maximum sequence size would be 9999 frames. is this true? or, is this just an oversight in the documentation? it would be nice to be able to specify a naming protocol, or at least the number of leading zeroes.

lastly, are there plans to include other still formats? i regularly work with tga and tiff and it would be great to be able to save directly to these formats rather than having to convert to them, especially if i have 50000 images.

edit:
and just found this: whenever i set resolution to either y800 2048x1536 or rgb 2048x1536 the software says the camera does not appear to be sending images and i should unplug it and replug it in. the smaller resolution of 1024x768 does not produce this error. i tried setting the frame rate at the lowest possible setting, 3.75, i think, but i still get it.

thanks,
BabaG

Stefan Geissler
February 5, 2010, 10:47:51
Hello

just got a dfk61buc02 with the intent of capturing image sequences in raw and jpg formats. when i open the image sequence bar and settings on ic capture, i see an option for bmp and jpg but none for raw images. how do i capture a sequence of stills in raw format?
If you set the Y800 video format, then you will receive the raw data from the camera. To save it, us BMP, because JPEG compression will destroy the raw data.

lastly, are there plans to include other still formats? i regularly work with tga and tiff and it would be great to be able to save directly to these formats rather than having to convert to them, especially if i have 50000 images.

No, other formats are not planned.

and just found this: whenever i set resolution to either y800 2048x1536 or rgb 2048x1536 the software says the camera does not appear to be sending images and i should unplug it and replug it in. the smaller resolution of 1024x768 does not produce this error. i tried setting the frame rate at the lowest possible setting, 3.75, i think, but i still get it.
Then the image data transfer is interrupted and the images are transferred incompletely into memory. If you use a laptop, you may set the energy options to the highest possible value. If you have other devices connected to the same USB controller, you may disable them. What computer model do you use?

At least, I do not think, it is a good idea saving 50000 single images on harddisc. It is better to save them in an uncompressed (e.g.Y800) avi file. That is the reason, why have set the count of digits to four. We simply did not expect more.

BabaG
February 5, 2010, 19:27:46
thanks for the reply, stefan. playing with the software as i write. will look at
the y800 raw option. thanks for that. too bad about no other formats but i'll
move on from that one.

installed the trial software on my real capture computer rather than my
laptop as described before and the 2048x1536 imaging seems to work now.
thanks for that tip too.

question about saving image sequences. i'm used to piping my images
direct to disk. is there an option for that in iccapture? all i've found so far is
the ability to snap a picture. it seems to sit in memory (i have the display
option switched off) until i manually save the image. is there no way to
pipe the image directly to disk?

i'm going to be using the camera's trigger to shoot the frames and would
like them to go straight to the hard disk.

edit:
figured out getting a hotkey to pipe a sequence directly to disk. have not
yet gotten a trigger to work.
end edit

the reason i ask about this and the numbering capacity has to do with how
i'm using the camera and software. i have an evaluation camera right now
and am testing it in a telecine context, capturing frames from film i have
on a projector i've set up. i'm trying to replace the canon 5d still camera
i've been shooting with with the dfk. it should be able to capture much faster
and not have the mechanical issues the 5d has had.

being that i'm working with film, i'm also working within certain standards
pertaining to film. for 35mm film, a standard 1000 foot roll is 16000 frames
long. for 16mm film it's not uncommon to splice together three 400 foot
rolls into a 1200 foot roll. that would be 400 x 3 x 40 = 48000. i shoot
these rolls continuously. having to break them arbitrarily at 9999 frames,
while not impossible, would add steps into the process.

thanks for any additional info,
BabaG

Stefan Geissler
February 8, 2010, 12:28:51
Hello

question about saving image sequences. i'm used to piping my images
direct to disk. is there an option for that in iccapture? all i've found so far is
the ability to snap a picture. it seems to sit in memory (i have the display
option switched off) until i manually save the image. is there no way to
pipe the image directly to disk?

Please look at the "Automated image sequence". This will do the job. You can also hit the space key, that should save the image also to hard disc, using the settings of the "Automated image sequence".

However, in your case you might consider to save the images in an AVI file. If the projector is running and creating the trigger pulses, you can save the images in real time to the AVI file. This is much faster than using single images.

BabaG
February 8, 2010, 22:43:17
thanks again for the info, stefan. running a first test with an avi capture
as i type. :) had a cold solder in my trigger mechanism that was causing
the trigger to fail.

question: can i capture bmp files via trigger direct to disk? i have not
gotten that to work so far. i am able to hit the space bar to capture
frames, but i'd like to substitute the trigger for the space bar. is that
possible?

the reason i'd like to do that is that for a lot of the image processing
that i do i use a still image manipulation app. having the files already in
still format would facilitate this process. at full resolution of 2048x1536
uncompressed, i'm only running between one and two fps anyway so
maybe i could save stills and not suffer too badly in the speed department?

thanks again,
BabaG

Stefan Geissler
February 9, 2010, 11:35:21
Hello,

its the automated image sequence. Set the interval to 0. Then each incoming frame will be saved to disk.