PDA

View Full Version : GigE Cameras ip addresses, and multiple cameras.

acanicio
November 21, 2009, 09:54:34
Dear forum,

The new GigE cameras use a gigabit ethernet interface.

1 - I see in the installation tutorial on the T.I.S. blog and newsletter, that the host computer ethernet adapter must have a precise IP address (in fact a class B automatic private IP address). Is it possible to use a DHCP server instead?. Are the cameras "DHCP" ready ?

2 - Are multiple cameras supported ? If yes, then can they be plugged behind an ethernet switch ? Using a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 indicates that you could theorically connect up to over 65000 devices.

3 - Can the cameras be used behind a wifi adaptor ? (at low FPS of course)

Thank you for your answers.
Best regards
Axel Canicio

Stefan Geissler
November 23, 2009, 08:50:29
Hi Axel

1 - I see in the installation tutorial on the T.I.S. blog and newsletter, that the host computer ethernet adapter must have a precise IP address (in fact a class B automatic private IP address). Is it possible to use a DHCP server instead?. Are the cameras "DHCP" ready ?

The GigE Cameras are DHCP ready. They search for a DHCP server after they have been started. If there is no DHCP server in the network, the camera uses the static IP address as shown in the blog.

Sometimes the used computer, not the camera, has a very long time out for searching for a DHCP server. While the computer searches a DHCP server, it can not connect to the camera. In order to shorten the time to connect to the camera, the network settings can be set to a static IP as shown in the blog. However, this is only necessary, if the waiting time to camera connect is too long.

2 - Are multiple cameras supported ? If yes, then can they be plugged behind an ethernet switch ? Using a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 indicates that you could theorically connect up to over 65000 devices.

Of course.

3 - Can the cameras be used behind a wifi adaptor ? (at low FPS of course)

They can be used, but do not expect any image. Even a 100mBit network is too slow.

acanicio
November 23, 2009, 14:41:05
Dear Stefan,

Hi Axel
Sometimes the used computer, not the camera, has a very long time out for searching for a DHCP server. While the computer searches a DHCP server, it can not connect to the camera. In order to shorten the time to connect to the camera, the network settings can be set to a static IP as shown in the blog. However, this is only necessary, if the waiting time to camera connect is too long.

I use a wifi network for pure "networking" needs. But I can use its the physical ethernet port for the cameras.
The computer that I use for controlling the cameras will host the DHCP server that will be binded to that port. There should not be any problem, since it already has a fixed IP address (which is of course in a different network segment from the "real" lan).

Thank you for all this helpful information.
I really appreciate your quick replies !! :good: :-)

Best regards
Axel Canicio