PDA

View Full Version : YGB0 support for usb cameras?

monokrom
November 20, 2009, 10:33:15
hello!

I wanted to know if you plan to extend support for 10-bit video cameras usb, via an updated driver for example?

alain.

Stefan Geissler
November 20, 2009, 12:19:51
Hello,

This could be done onyl by a firmware update. But right now it is not planned to support 10-bit video in these cameras.

Please let me know your program, that is capable to handle 10 bit formats. I am still on search.

monokrom
November 20, 2009, 14:30:12
sorry i don't know any.

i was thinking about raw output or perhaps better 15 bits signed in fits format, for maximal compatibility with existing software (like iris).

Stefan Geissler
November 20, 2009, 15:08:06
sorry i don't know any.
Same as me.

Why should the format be signed? Negative brightness is senseless.

If you find any software, that support more then 8 bit grayscale, you may post it.

monokrom
November 20, 2009, 18:05:30
usually i substract a sky background estimate (the mean or the median of an avi taken with the unchanged capture settings, captured shortly after the main avi of a planet) . the result is a background averaged near 0 but with signed values.

this sky (or dark) substraction is common practice in astronomy.

the software i'm using is iris ( http://astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm ) but other dedicated astronomy software will do it too.

the fits format is a standard in astronomy ( http://heasarc.nasa.gov/fitsio/ ) .

Stefan Geissler
November 23, 2009, 09:45:41
I had a short look on this library. Which programs use this library?

monokrom
November 24, 2009, 19:12:40
usually the software related to experiences of astronomy or astrophysics routinely include this file format.

in the amateur domain : iris, audela ( http://www.audela.org/linux_eng.php?langue=english ), pixinsight (at least a few years ago) or lucam recorder (which manage TIS astronomy cameras) use it.

Heiko Wilkens
December 19, 2009, 11:22:51
Lucam Recorder software provides capture support for pixel depth with more than 8Bit. When set to 16Bit camera mode, Lucam Recorder supportes 16Bit image capture with TIFF, FITS, RAW and SER file format. SER is a proprietary Lucam Recorder 16Bit video capture format. Ser was introduced for capture performance reasons. AVIstack, ImagesPlus and Registax are able to handle SER files directly.

The Lucam Recorder 16Bit capture mode is currently available for Lumenera cameras only. Implementation of 16Bit mode for TIS cameras would take about 4 weeks. I would do this implementation, once TIS cameras with >8Bit modes become available.

Heiko Wilkens

Stefan Geissler
December 21, 2009, 12:10:21
Hello

I do not like to disappoint you, but it is not planned to create a 10bit video format for the FireWire and USB cameras in the near future. The reason is we simply do not have the human resources to do this right now. I am very sorry for this.

monokrom
January 31, 2010, 13:44:15
ok, thank you for the answers.