PDA

View Full Version : ICImagingControl V3.0.5. and 10 bit GIGe image data

acanicio
November 15, 2009, 09:35:50
Dear Stefan,

I have ICImagingControl V3.0.5, and I exclusively use the activeX component.

1 -
Is the V3.0.5 activeX component compatible with the new GIGe cameras ?

2 -
I use Delphi 5, and I get the image data directly from TICImagingControl.ImageBuffers.Item[buffer]
With the 8 bit cameras, getting the data is pretty simple, and I just bring back all the data in an array of bytes.

I see that the new GIGe cameras have 10 bit data.

How is the data in the buffer organized ?
Is it an array of words (16 bits) or is it an array of bits ? Or is it something else ?

Thank you for your answer.
Best regards
Axel Canicio

Stefan Geissler
November 16, 2009, 09:08:38
1 -
Is the V3.0.5 activeX component compatible with the new GIGe cameras ?

I do not think so. Only version 3.0.7. For an update you may create a support case here http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

2 -
I use Delphi 5, and I get the image data directly from TICImagingControl.ImageBuffers.Item[buffer]
With the 8 bit cameras, getting the data is pretty simple, and I just bring back all the data in an array of bytes.

I see that the new GIGe cameras have 10 bit data.

How is the data in the buffer organized ?
Is it an array of words (16 bits) or is it an array of bits ? Or is it something else ?

This is shown in the documentation in the chapter "Accessing an Image Buffer" : http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/documentation/dotnet/PixelformatYGB0.htm

Please keep in mind, the support of the IC Imaging Control ActiveX has ended. So you may should consider to update your development environment.

acanicio
November 16, 2009, 10:29:03
Dear Stefan,

Thank you, I will look at the links you indicate.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "the support has ended".

Do you mean that the only way left to access the camera's functionalities, is to use the C++ classes ? Or is there some component that will replace the ActiveX one ?

If this is correct, it is a VERY large and annoying change for the developers that relied on the activeX component...

Best regards
Axel

Stefan Geissler
November 16, 2009, 10:51:56
Axel,

Support has ended means, there will be no new features in the OCX. Only bugfixes if necessary. The OCX using programs are very old, such as Delphi5, VB6 and VC 6.0. The last two are even not supported by MS anymore, so we ended this too.

We had trouble with the OCX in Windows Vista and Visual Studio 2008, so we had to redesign the .NET control of IC Imaging Control, which used the OCX. Now it is no longer necessary.

But I will keep trying to answer customer questions.

However, it is included in the IC LabVIEW Extension, because changing the LabVIEW Extension using the .NET component means a complete redesign, because of the LabVIEW limitations.

acanicio
November 16, 2009, 11:17:37
Dear Stefan,

Thank you for your detailed answer :-).
I understand now.

I know I have to migrate to a more recent development environment, but it is so much work that i'd be a better idea to rewrite my whole application (8 years of work, over 100.000 lines of code) from scratch...

And by the time I finish, the development environment will be obsolete again...

Best regards
Axel

Stefan Geissler
November 16, 2009, 11:32:25
Axel.

I fully understand your point. The OCX will be available for you the next years, I guess.