PDA

View Full Version : DFK images not being delivered while camera is in live mode

The Bat
November 9, 2009, 23:56:08
Hi

I have a DFK21AF04.AS camera bought in March this year. Last time I set up my camera in August, everything was working normally. Tonight, I tried to set it up, but when connected to the computer, I started IC Capture, but keep getting an error message saying that

"The device (DFx21AF....) is in live mode but does not seem to deliver images. Please try to choose a different video format or try reconnecting your device to your computer"

The live image screen is black, and if I point the camera at a light source, nothing registers.

I cannot choose a different video format as avi is the only choice, and I have tried reconnecting to no avail. I have tried reinstalling IC Capture and restarting the computer.

Is this likely to be a problem with the powered Firewire cable, or the camera itself?

Here's hoping someone can help.

:at-wits-end:

Rachel

Stefan Geissler
November 10, 2009, 09:43:58
Rachel,

I guess, the exposure time was not as long, e.g. 1/30 second for testing.

Did you try lower frame rates? Usually lower frame rates will help in the first step.

Please let me know, what computer model and Windows version you use.

The Bat
November 10, 2009, 14:25:18
I don't think this is an exposure issue - the camera normally functions when it is first switched on even when the exposure has been set low from a previous session. I was inside at the time under full lighting, so even if the exposure is low, it should have registered an image. Waving the camera at the ceiling light did not bring up light on the screen.

I don't have the model of computer to hand so I will post that later, but I am using Windows Vista. It has always been OK up until now. The main difference is that when I first bought the laptop, I used it solely for astronomy and did not connect it to the internet. Recently, my husband bought anti-virus software and loaded this on, and since then I have used the computer to surf the internet, and because I am now connected, I have also been receiving Windows updates that I didn't get before. I tried reloading IC Capture but it hasn't helped.

Thanks,
Rachel

Stefan Geissler
November 10, 2009, 14:30:58
Rachel,

you are right, low exposure times are no problem for potential timeouts, but very long ones can be.

Which Antivirus software do you use? If I remember correctly, there was a problem with a "G-Data" related virus scanner.

The Bat
November 10, 2009, 22:59:46
Hi

My computer model is the Sony VGN-NS10L.
The anti-virus software is Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.
I have the Firewire Performance Manager installed, because I had frame rate problems a while back and since then the camera has functioned normally, up until now.
Regards,

Rachel

The Bat
November 10, 2009, 23:25:58
Sorry, Stefan, this is very embarrassing, but I am going to admit to being really stupid. :doh:

You were right. I misunderstood you in my earlier post in that I thought that you meant the exposure was set too low to register an image, but when you mentioned the exposure possibly being too long, I thought I had better double check... and when I started IC Capture, I found that the exposure was set to a completely random 23.7 seconds! Why, I have no idea, as I never use anything other than very short exposures, but it was something I failed to check because it is normally set low. Plus the error message kept coming up too quickly for the 23 second exposure to kick in and put an image on the screen.

Oh well, I will put this one down to experience. What a waste of a clear sky last night, but at least I don't need a new camera or computer!

Thanks for your help. :-)

Rachel

Stefan Geissler
November 11, 2009, 10:43:04
Rachel,

but I am going to admit to being really stupid

No, of course you are not stupid. When I first time had a similar problem with another customer, I needed a few days to figure this out. Thus it is some experience over the years to guess the reasons for problems.