View Full Version : Filter Wheel to Camera Attachment

October 18, 2009, 15:21:20
Hello all,

New to this forum and just received my DMK 21AU04.AS. I have an Orion manual filter wheel and a 5x powermate and the camera. The filter wheel comes from Orion with male t-threads to accept a camera adapter (I have one for my Canon DSLR). What do you all use to attach this camera? I have seen some female threaded adapaters that accept eyepieces, (I could use the eyepiece nose that came with the camera).

thanks in advance for your assistance.

October 19, 2009, 13:59:00
I have the same camera, but haven't decided on which filter wheel I want yet.
I'd think any adapter for the wheel thread that would get you to 1.25" would be all you need.
You might check what ScopeStuff lists, they have a good selection of adapters.

October 19, 2009, 14:36:05
I just took a moment to look at the Orion wheel and down load the instruction manual.
It's supposed to be furnished with a 1.25" adapter which would allow you to insert the DMK with the 1.25" nose piece and you're done. No other adapters needed.

October 24, 2009, 00:37:03
OK, so here is the deal. I was referring to the adapter required to attach the camera to the t-thread side of the filter wheel. Yes, the nose that comes with the camera will enable you to connect to the filter wheel, but from the telescope side.

the adapter I needed was a T to C adapter. I found one at Edmund Optics, a compact one that fits perfectly.

so, any one else that needs the adapter, just Google Compact T to C adapater.

October 24, 2009, 12:30:17
The Orion wheel, like others has female t-thread on both sides. Comes with a tX1.25OD nose piece, tX1.25ID adapter, male tXt bushing with lock ring.
Orion also has PN07127 tXc adapter, more complex than needed, but handy.

June 21, 2011, 12:10:22

This is my set up:

1. - Vixen Flip mirror + 25mm Plössl Eyepiece parfocal with camera

2.- - Filterwheel Orion Nautilus 7 x 1,25"filters motorized USB. Filters: L: Baader IR/UV cut; R, G & B: Astronomik RGB Type II; NIR: Astronomik IR Planet Pro 742 & 807; UVA: BaaderVenus U-Filter. Sometimes I use a Baader Methane Line.

3.- DMK31AS03.AS

This filter wheel uses T2 screws. Baader Planetarium have a lot of adapters from almost any standard to any other. Including a T2-Cmount

I have a similar set up with a Orion manual filter wheel 5x1,25" and a DMK31AF03.AS

Some videos of this setup: