PDA

View Full Version : Problem: DMK21 USB - only works at 15fps or lower?

bdeclerc
August 27, 2009, 20:29:04
I'm using my DMK21 USB on an MSI Mega Book S271 - when I try to use the camera at framerates above 15fps states:

---------------------------
IC Capture.AS 2.1
The device 'DMx 21AU04.AS (17800141)' is in live mode, but does not seem to deliver images.
Please try to chose a different video format or try reconnecting your device to your computer.
OK

at 15fps or lower it works without a hitch.

Stefan Geissler
August 28, 2009, 09:17:34
Hello,

the camera should run with a maximum frame rate of 60 fps. Please check the power options of your laptop and set them to the highes possible option, otherwise the USB bus is slowed down.

Your laptop uses an AMD Turion X2. I never tested this CPU, but we have a lot of trouble with the AMD X64 computers. The have a less good designed Southbridge, so the USB data transfer is extremely slowed down and it is not possible to get high frame rates on these computers.

bdeclerc
August 29, 2009, 00:53:00
Thanks for the information, I'll test it with a powered hub - I hope that will be all that is needed...

bdeclerc
September 12, 2009, 21:25:42
Okay, with a powered hub I do see an increase in framerate (to 30fps) but not to the maximum (60fps) and I've confirmed now that I cannot reach 30fps on a DMK31 USB even with the powered hub.

Would using an expansion card with USB resolve the issue, since those ports are not directly controlled by the Southbridge? Or should I start looking for another PC (pity, I managed to get this one for a really nice price)

Stefan Geissler
September 14, 2009, 09:24:00
Hi,

If you use an AMD CPU, then there is no way to getter higher frame rates. We looked into this, but found no solution. I am very sorry for this.
An expansion card does not solve the issue. We tried this too.

bdeclerc
September 14, 2009, 16:48:58
Thanks for the information.

And for some very very weird reason, last weekend the camera suddenly started working up to 60fps without any other action on my part... The only difference from before being that friday I tested it with a DMK31, which also did not work at the highest frame rates.

So for now it works (for the DMK21)... Weirdness...

FAROUTMAN
September 22, 2009, 00:36:36
I get the same problem with the 31..the minute you add noise reduction on any longer than a few seconds it crashes..makes the camera pretty useless

Stefan Geissler
September 22, 2009, 10:06:14
Please let me know the error message, if there is one. Thank you in advance.

FAROUTMAN
September 22, 2009, 11:38:29
same as above but my model and sn....is in live mode, but does not seem to deliver images.
Please try to chose a different video format or try reconnecting your device to your computer.

Stefan Geissler
September 22, 2009, 13:23:32
What computer is in use? What other USB devices are in use? What about CPU load? Please keep in mind, too less CPU load will also switch down the power settings, so the USB controller is slowed down too and the frames are not complete transferred.

Also the quality of the USB plays a role.