PDA

View Full Version : New User

roggold
June 15, 2009, 19:50:53
Hi,

I am new to this forum and am really not sure if this is the right place for this question.

From a computer, I need to be able to start and stop multiple video cameras at the same time, and I need to save all of the video input back onto my computer. Is this possible?

I have been told that controlling multiple video cameras is done through a camera controller, but that only the video input of one camera can be downloaded onto a given computer. In order to save all video from all the cameras I would need to use a DVR.

Basically the setup I need is as follows:
computer tells controller to start and stop multiple cameras.
cameras send video input back to computer.

Any help with this, including where to ask if this is not the right place, is much appreciated.
thanks
-Roger

Stefan Geissler
June 16, 2009, 14:17:49
Roger,

I think the task is not as hard. It is possible to capture streams from more than one video camera. This depends on the amount of available interface controllers (USB / GigE / FireWire) and the speed of the used computer.

Capturing 4 streams at once should be possible.

Also controlling the digital cameras from PC is possible.

roggold
June 16, 2009, 17:24:03
Thank you Stefan for your reply.

Can you give me some Idea what kind of hardware I would need for this setup?

I assume I would need a Camera control unit to turn all the cameras on and off at the same time.

Are you saying that if I have a sufficient number of interface controllers I can simply plug all of the cameras into that one computer and capture all the streams of video input at the same time on that one computer?

Or would I need to save the video to a DVR and then have the DVR plugged into the computer?

And what about software to be able to control everything from a PC? Is this something that comes with a CCU or a separate piece of software that I would have to purchase?

Any links/specific names of hardware/software would be greatly appreciated as I am not very familiar with this topic. I am doing research for my employer for a project that he wants to do that requires filming one event from multiple angles and capturing all the input onto one computer.

Thanks,
-Roger

Stefan Geissler
June 16, 2009, 18:30:05
Roger

If you use digital cameras like ours, then you only need the cameras, some USB or FireWire controllers and e.g. an Intel QuadCore. No extra hardware is needed.
(No audio support with our cameras.)

The cameras are controlled by software. You may refer to "samples" at http://www.imagingcontrol.com