PDA

View Full Version : Mono operation....?

Kokatha man
May 22, 2009, 04:54:18
Hi Stefan.....would I be correct in thinking (more likely wishing!) that if I operate my DBK 21 AU04.AS colour camera in "mono" mode I can attain better sensitivity re details revealed in images, rather than just converting the final coloured image to mono in P/shop....?

Also, the IC Capture program I'm running off of the cd I got with the camera says "IC Capture AS 2.0".....should I be running a later version, and what benefits are there to later versions....?

Regards, Darryl.

Stefan Geissler
May 22, 2009, 10:47:15
Hello Darryl,

would I be correct in thinking (more likely wishing!) that if I operate my DBK 21 AU04.AS colour camera in "mono" mode I can attain better sensitivity re details revealed in images, rather than just converting the final coloured image to mono in P/shop....?

I am no astronomer, but most of them do so, to keep memory and harddisc usage low and to achieve 60 fps for stacking.

There are no real benefits using a newer version of IC Capture.

Kokatha man
May 23, 2009, 04:46:45
Hello Darryl,

I am no astronomer, but most of them do so, to keep memory and harddisc usage low and to achieve 60 fps for stacking.

Hi again Stefan.....seems like I'm more a "newbie" than ever I imagined - and perhaps explains why I seem to have only been able to capture Saturn and Jupiter at either 7.5 or 15 fps.....

On one of the retailer's websites the following "technical" info is provided....."Color interpolation in the astro CCD camera DBK 21AU04.AS can be switched off, thus 60 color images per second can be transferred. Color interpolation can then be carried out on the host PC, with the shipped software IC Capture.AS"

Forgive my ignorance, but does "Color interpolation can be switched off..." mean that I do this by capturing WITHOUT activating the "Enable Debayering" button if I want to try recording the avi at 60fps.....and how do I then carry out color interpretation on my PC as per that info....?

What has IC Capture.AS got to do with color interpolation on the host PC as per the above quote - I only use it for capturing the avi's - do the "bolded" parts in the quote above mean that IC Capture.AS can be used in processing ....?

I apologize for these seemingly dumb questions, there is very little practical info I have found on the internet for "learners" and as I said, I seem to be able to produce reasonable images with the two lowest framerate settings in capture and would like to experiment with higher framerates.....despite my confusion with all of the above is this only applicable for 60fps or does it have benefits at 30fps....?

Regards, Darryl.

Kokatha man
May 25, 2009, 01:17:22
.....answering my own questions is definitely NOT GOOD....!;-):embarrassed::doh::smile-big: - but the bit in the question about "(do I) do this by capturing WITHOUT activating the "Enable Debayering" button" for 60fps framerates is quite idiotic - because I switch off that button to record an avi anyway (whereby the histograms become mono instead of the R/G/B ones there when the "Enable Debayering" IS activated.....)

So I guess from my own response to my question it means because you need to switch the "Enable Debayering" button off to record anyway IT IS ACTUALLY RECORDING IN GREYSCALE FOR ALL FRAMERATES ANYWAY.....and colour interpolation is carried out in (say) Registax when I check the "enable debayering" box in that program.....

In other words I've been doing what my initial question asked all along.....but it still doesn't really answer why my 30fps and 60fps avi images are so crappy - perhaps it's a combo of poor settings etc....?

Stefan Geissler
May 25, 2009, 09:56:38
Hi,

I must admit, you lost me. However, may be the following link answers your question:
http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/2008/05/16/colored-raw-data-uncompressed-y800-capture-registax-import/