PDA

View Full Version : A newbie with a DBK21.....

Kokatha man
April 27, 2009, 14:50:38
Hi, I'm expecting delivery of a new DBK21 colour USB CCD camera tomorrow, graduating from a Toucam 840k and joined the forum to try and pick up the basics of operating said camera for panetary imaging.

Checked a couple of threads herein and followed the one below and saw the tutorial link that you gave him Stefan for a basic "starters guide".....and also noticed when I read that link that a Bob Pilz had posted saying he was having trouble with a grid-pattern overlay.....it seems that the results of that problem aren't posted on the forum and all this is making me a bit apprehensive as I wait for the camera's delivery tomorrow!

I believe it will arrive with the software IC Capture.AS to create the avi's.....my basic questions are these:

Firstly, at the higher frame rates (higher than my old webcam that is) it appears that the number of frames I will most probably capture will require using Registax5 in the "over 1Gb filesize mode"....?

In the tutorial I spoke of above what was the answer to Bob Pilz' question/problem re the DBK21 and the grid-pattern....?

Aside from that tutorial are there other links to tutorials someone can provide me with.....ie basic recommended settings and histogram pattern desired etc.....with the toucam I seemed to do best with gain up and brightness down but see others recommending the reverse which to my ignorant understanding would more likely "push" the histogram pattern across the graph (despite the good images I achieved with the reverse!)

I realize that ultimately it is going to be trial and experimentation but to have some guidelines for basic camera settings (and a little of the basic theory for these settings too!) and any other capture/processing tips etc would be most helpfull and graciously received.....

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 15:29:12
Hello

Firstly, at the higher frame rates (higher than my old webcam that is) it appears that the number of frames I will most probably capture will require using Registax5 in the "over 1Gb filesize mode"....?
Well, this is a question for Registax, thus I can not answer this. But you may look here: http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=321920, there is a post, that Registax 4 will not open files bigger than 1GB.

In the tutorial I spoke of above what was the answer to Bob Pilz' question/problem re the DBK21 and the grid-pattern....?
If I remember correcty, there was the bayer mosiac from the CCD raw data visible. Not the "debayered" color image.

I realize that ultimately it is going to be trial and experimentation but to have some guidelines for basic camera settings (and a little of the basic theory for these settings too!) and any other capture/processing tips etc would be most helpfull and graciously received.....
Well, this is a question for the astronomers... I am more in industrial machine vision.