PDA

View Full Version : Newb with lots of questions ( sorry) DBK 41AU02

Skywatcher
April 25, 2009, 18:54:38
Proud owner of the above camera USB 2.0

few questions - so sorry if they are stupid ones but I have been looking all day for tutorials and can't find what I need - if this is too basic I am happy with links.

1. I cannot get the camera to cycle 'live' at 15fps in any of the 3 codecs and have to plump for 7fps in y800 - I hope I can achieve 15fps as I would like some flexibility with the camera in less ideal seeing. if I choose 15fps for any of the codecs I just get a message stating that there are no images being recieved from the camera

2. I took several avi's of the sun but registax would not open them , I think this is because I used the wrong codec to record the avi in i have tried a 5second 'y800' and 'unspecified' and these at least open in registax 5 but they were of grey fuzz in the study and not through a scope - which is the best 'codec' to use for capture if I am using registax on the planets moon and sun?

3. debayering on or off? - if I put it on it seems the avis are not openable under registax .

4. I tought this camera was a colour camera yet when I opened the tiny avis' the registax said it was monochrome - sorry to ask such a stupid question but how do I make these images colour?

Again sorry for thedim questions but thank you in advance for any help you can offer

arbacia
April 27, 2009, 08:52:15
Are you using Registax 5?

Registax 4 does not open video files bigger than 1 Gb.

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 08:55:57
Yes registax 5

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 10:43:57
OK I see from trawling the boards that y AMD ******board may be the issue with the frame rate as apparently on another post it says these don't put so much oomph into the uSB 2.0 ? is this right

I am still confused regarding which codecs to use as there seems to be a bewildering array

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 10:57:10
Oh and 1 last one the RGB codecs - are they used to produce colour shots or are they amenable to the use of RGB filters?

Agaian apologise fowr what may seem infantile questions

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 11:48:48
Hi,

there is a tutorial available:
http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/2008/05/16/colored-raw-data-uncompressed-y800-capture-registax-import/
It shows how to capture images for Registax.

Do not use "unspecified" in the codec settings.

The gray "fuzz" is the raw data of the CCD. You must debayer it as shown in the tutorial listed above.

Also Skywatcher is right, AMD boards have trouble with USB data transfer, it is too less, thus camera wont start with high frame rates.

3. debayering on or off? - if I put it on it seems the avis are not openable under registax .
Off!

4. I tought this camera was a colour camera yet when I opened the tiny avis' the registax said it was monochrome - sorry to ask such a stupid question but how do I make these images colour?
See the tutorial.

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 14:54:10
Thanks Stefan - hope to capture some stuff soon.

In no way was any of this supposed to be critical it was just a much bigger jump up from the webcam imaging I was used to

I have a new macbook pro coming tomorrow with the intel chip so I sincerlely hope that the USB2 on that will be up to the 15fps frame rate

do people only collect avi's in y800 then? that are the other options for?

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 15:24:52
Hi

Yes, poeple use Y800, because it provides the raw data. Thus the data saved to harddisc is three times less than using RGB24 uncompressed. The Debayering is done later in programs like Registax.

The other codecs are used, if file size plays a bigger role than image quality. Then codecs with compression are used.

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 17:13:07
thank you for your time

there are 2 other codecs that can be chosen from the dropdown menu in the toolbar - what are these used for?

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 17:15:43
At least, there should be some more than 2 of them, e.g. DV Encoder, MJPEG Compressor. Each of them does its own compression for AVI capture.

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 17:27:40
Ah not in the record box in the camera boy y800 and 2 others - sorry not at home , in the record menu there are many many options but in the'live view' mode

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 17:32:00
These are the available video formats of the camera:

BY8 is the same as Y800, but the debayering is done in the computer automatically. (Do not use for astronomy, if you want CCD Raw data.)

YUY2 is a 16 bit color format, the color calculation (debayering) is done in the camera. (Also do not use for astronomy, if you want CCD Raw data.)

Skywatcher
April 27, 2009, 17:38:56
Thank you so much for your time an patience with this I am sure you are sick of answering the same questions over and over again

Stefan Geissler
April 27, 2009, 17:43:07
No, I am not sick. This is my job to answer all questions, because it is impossible to know all things if you have just started.