PDA

View Full Version : Support multiple cameras of the same kind

rkrabbenborg
March 12, 2009, 16:06:48
Hi,

We have an application with multiple cameras (8). They are all of the same kind (FWCAMVM, an old 30FPS 1394 Mono camera). I would like to 'connect' the cameras to 'ICImagingControl' and 'pictureboxes' using their serial number. So if we ever have to replace a camera we would only need to change its serial number in a parameterfile.

I thought looping over 'icImagingControl1.Devices' would show all 8 cameras which makes it possible to break out the loop when the actual serialnumber matches the one we are looking for. However it shows only the cameratype which is only 1 type in my case. As a result it will only show the first available serial number.

We don't want our 8 images to depend on the 'cable mounting sequence'.

Anyone any suggestions ?

rkrabbenborg
March 13, 2009, 07:41:19
I checked if all individual cameras did work (connect only one at the time). I have found out that only the first camera did work.

The other camera's do work using another 1394 driver (Firepackage2V24).

Does the IC Imaging Control check on certain serial numbers ? (For license reasons ?). However, all these cameras are bought from The Imaging Source, so this would still make no sense.

rkrabbenborg
March 13, 2009, 09:15:54
Found the problem.

I had to install the driver manually for each camera. Now the 2nd camera appears as 'FWCAMVM 1'.

Stefan Geissler
March 13, 2009, 09:41:17
Hi,

you are right. Windows differs between the cameras using their serial numbers. Then it tries to install the drivers and looks for already installed drivers. There is our driver and the Windows standard driver on the system installed. Our driver works, but is not certified by Microsoft. The standard driver works not, but it is certified by Microsoft. The automatic driver installation gives higher merrit to certified drivers, even if they do not work and installs them. You can see this in the device manager. Usually these devices show the error "Code 10, the device can not start".