PDA

View Full Version : Vertical stripe on DFG/1394-1e

Gavin Bray
March 1, 2009, 22:38:16
In the attached shot you can see there's a vertical stripe whose border is half way between the left hand side and the writing. If I display the same image on a CRT I cannot see the same striping no matter what adjustments I make so I believe this is an artifact of the DFG/1394.

Does this look like a fault with the unit and should I return it?

Thanks
Gavin

Stefan Geissler
March 2, 2009, 16:42:45
Hi Gavin,

I am afraid, this is a common problem of the device due to the digitizing process.

Gavin Bray
March 2, 2009, 22:05:51
Hi Stefan

Are you saying this is a limitation of the device or a fault?

I've had the converter for just over a year and it's only recently started doing this so I assume it's a fault.

Regards
Gavin

Stefan Geissler
March 3, 2009, 11:40:02
Gavin,

this is a good question. I asked my engineers and they told me the answer. You may ask your local dealer for a second testing device.

Gavin Bray
March 3, 2009, 23:08:41
Ok, thanks Stefan.

Gavin Bray
March 12, 2009, 22:31:26
Serial # 07700304

Stefan Geissler
March 13, 2009, 10:54:13
Thanks. Did You ask your local dealer for a second testing device?

Gavin Bray
March 29, 2009, 16:17:31
Hello Stefan

Yes I did and I was sent a new unit (#35800147) although this unit doesn't have the ImagingSource logo on the top for some reason.

However, this unit exhibits the exact same banding as the old one so now I'm at a loss.

My setup again is Astro video camera connected by S-video to the firewire converter and then to my PC.

I've borrowed a friend's video camera (same model) and IS USB converter and performed a few experiments.

The banding is present using either camera and the firewire converter.

The banding is present using either S-video or composite.

The banding is not present if I connect to a CRT monitor instead.

The banding is present with the IS USB converter but it's a lot less apparent than with the firewire converter.

Is this banding unavoidable or is there a problem with the converter?

If you don't think it's the converter any suggestions as to what the cause might be or how I might track it down?

I've attached a couple of images - one as captured in IC Capture and the same image but with the contrast boosted to make it easier to see the banding.

Regards
Gavin

Gavin Bray
April 3, 2009, 00:06:39
Hello Stefan

Did you get a chance to read my last post and look at the attached images?

Thanks
Gavin

Stefan Geissler
April 3, 2009, 14:43:18
I will habe to speak to the hardware engineers. But they are on holidays at this point of time. They will be back in two weeks.

But at least, if both converters show the same behavior, then it is not software problem, but is is a feature of hardware. The FireWire converter was not intended to be used for astronony right now. Thus I guess, it is hard at the limits of the possibilities of digitizing with the converter.

Gavin Bray
April 5, 2009, 10:09:23
Thanks Stefan. I'd appreciate if you could let me know what the hardware engineers say.

I just tried a different power source for the camera - a 12V sealed battery - and got the same result so I presume it's not a power related problem.

Gavin

Stefan Geissler
April 6, 2009, 11:59:16
Hi Gavin,

I think, the problem is the working hard on the limit with this converters in astronomy. I also guess, the stripe seems to be a feature in low light conditions. Thus I think, it can not be avoided.

Gavin Bray
April 12, 2009, 11:21:01
Hi Stefan

That's discouraging. I was hoping for more from this unit, especially given its price.

Using the exact same camera and PC setup but replacing the IS converter with a Canopus ADVC-55 S-video to firewire converter I see no banding. So, I think this confirms that the problem lies with the IS converter.

I would still like to hear what the HW engineers say when they return from vacation.

Also, the replacement unit I received does not have the ImagingSource logo on the top of the unit whereas my old converter did ie. it's a black box with just the serial number sticker on the bottom. Is this normal?

Gavin

Stefan Geissler
April 14, 2009, 12:57:54
Hi Gavin,

First of all, yes, the converters are as OEM version available. They have no branding then.

Secondly, the Canopus is a very fine hardware. Thus I agree, the problem is the converter itself.

Gavin Bray
April 19, 2009, 09:16:58
Stefan

The Canopus unit doesn't include any software. One of the things I like about the ImagingSource converter is the IC Capture software. I haven't found anything as good but, of course, it doesn't work with 3rd party hardware.

I just wish there was a way to get rid of the banding.

If you hear anything back from the hardware engineers please let me know.

Thanks
Gavin

Stefan Geissler
April 20, 2009, 13:14:57
Dear Gavin,

I forgot to tell you, the Conopus does a DV stream, that mean the images are processed to be DV conform with a compression, thus this device is not a realy good solution.

Gavin Bray
April 22, 2009, 11:51:13
Agreed. The ideal solution is the ImagingSource converter (minus the banding) and IC Capture.

Regards
Gavin

Gavin Bray
April 28, 2009, 12:39:54
Stefan

Any word back from the hardware engineers?

I'd like to know whether this is definitely a limitation of the converter (in which case I'll look for another product) or a problem with the units I've tried (in which case I'll see if I can get a replacement).

Thanks
Gavin

Stefan Geissler
April 28, 2009, 16:15:43
Hi Gavin,

I am very sorry, but the engineers said, the stripes can not be avoided.

Gavin Bray
April 30, 2009, 10:16:39
Ok. Thanks Stefan.

Stefan Geissler
April 30, 2009, 10:21:20
I forgot to mention: You may go on contact with our US office, if you want to give the converter back.