PDA

View Full Version : IC Software freezing up

ant
January 14, 2009, 15:09:15
I use the DMK21 (usb) with IC capture.

I rarely get an exposure quick enough to enable 60FPS, so I use 30 FPS.

During a capture and during LIVE view, I regually get the screen (video section only) freezing. The only way to unfreeze it is to either change the frame rate (in live mode) or stop recording in capture mode.

During a capture it's the live view part and the number of frames captured count. The time elapsed still goes up...

Has anyone come across this before?

I thought it may be due to my very limited disc space - but a new HDD with over 100Gb free space hasn't sorted the problems.

Very odd.

Cheers
Ant

Stefan Geissler
January 14, 2009, 16:13:14
If you mean by "capture" AVI capture, then the freezing is common behavior. The display thread has a lower priority than the AVI capture thread. If the AVI capture needs a lot of CPU time, then the display will freeze.

ant
January 14, 2009, 16:20:41
If you mean by "capture" AVI capture, then the freezing is common behavior. The display thread has a lower priority than the AVI capture thread. If the AVI capture needs a lot of CPU time, then the display will freeze.

Thanks for the help so far Stefan.

Ah thats good to know. So I take it that once the display thread freezes and the number of frames stops going up, I should stop the recording and start another one.

Would it help if I stopped running other applications? Like AV software?

Thanks
Anthony

Stefan Geissler
January 15, 2009, 08:12:48
Hi Ant,

Well, this is a little bit different than I understood. The frame counter should count up. Does IC Capture react if you try to stop capture or try to close the program? Then IC Capture wont freeze, but may be you wont get any frames from the USB controller.

What computer do you use? Do you have a real USB 2.0 Highspeed port with no decreased performance, as it could be found in older AMD computers? Are there other devices connected to the same USB contoller, e.g. USB hard disc, UTMS modem or what ever?

May be you have a too high frame drop due to AVI capture, resulting in at least no more frames provided. What kind of computer do you use?

ant
January 15, 2009, 09:03:07
Hi Stefan,

I use a Compaq N610C laptop, accordng to Device manager the USB ports are enhanced (so are USB2).

I have the mount connected via the serial port and the dSLR via the parrallel port. I don't even use a mouse.

This issue even happens at 15fps.

I have a PCMCIA card for the WiFi - that shouldn't affect it?

Stefan Geissler
January 15, 2009, 11:41:57
Hi Ant,

Thank you. I just had a look into the specification of the Compaq N610C. I found it has only 256MB RAM, which is not as much for Windows XP. However, if IC Capture shows no new images, is the harddisc busy? Then Windows may starts to swap, which could suppress the USB controller.

If you can see images without interrupts in 60 fps, then you are right, you have USB 2.0 highspeed controllers.

The other hardware you mentioned should not have any influence, as far as I know.

Do you have the opportunity to use the camera on another computer for testing? If so, I would like you to do so.

ant
January 15, 2009, 11:59:45
I've added RAM up to 756Mb - but it will soon be up to 1Gb.

I will to some tests tonight - I do not need to be out at the telescope to test it.

Thanks for you help so far!

Ant

Stefan Geissler
January 15, 2009, 13:57:36
Hi Ant,

756 MB should be quite enough. Extending will not fix the problem.

Last idea: You may test another USB cable.

I am very sorry, but I am running out of ideas.

ant
January 15, 2009, 16:11:43
I really appreciate your help.

Tonight, I will reinstall the drivers (just in case). I will double check everything including a different USB lead.

I will report back later or tomorrow.

Thanks again
Ant

ant
January 15, 2009, 18:55:07
Hi Stefan,

Ok I've just been sitting here in my dining room with everything spread out in front of me.

I reinstalled the drivers (the existing driver was 1.0.0.15) now 1.0.0.18.

I have had IC capture running with the DMK, at 60 Fps, just in live mode (I've never been able to do that before :D ). Then I clicked the record button an watched as it counted up through 1000... 1500 then I stoppe it.

I reviewed the AVI and made sure that it recorded OK.

I have now tried at 60Fps with several other programs running (starry night, dSLR shutter) to try and simulate what the laptop will be required to do normally.

I even moved a movie from my desk top machine to the laptop wirelessly at the same time just to make sure that everything was OK when the HDD was working nice and hard...

Everything is fine. I've just recorded a 5000 frame AVI and all's well.

Now I just need to sort out the exposure value display issue and I'll be a really happy boy (I even think that this has sorted out another issue with PHDGuide).

So I'm a happy chap.

You guys are great, the DMK camera is superb, your support is second to none...

I'll be praising you on stargazerslounge.com very shortly.

Ant

Stefan Geissler
January 16, 2009, 09:38:49
Hi Ant,

It is good to read, that the camera is working now. However, I would like to send you an IC Capture update, thus I would like you to contact me at http://www.imagingcontrol.com/en_US/support/case/

The update is for free. It fixes your exposure issue.