PDA

View Full Version : How to get a RAW b/w AVI with DBK?

Eminem2Pac
January 11, 2009, 23:44:39
Yo staff,
i just bought a new IS DBK21AF04.AS, i understood how i can get with Y800 codec raw the colored(by debayering it with registax) AVI, and for Venus i need to record this AVI in b/w mode,so I tried to enable debayering by IC capture, and yes...the AVI was cleary in b/w but the ADU(brightness) was so dropped down, which i was seeing in my laptop in the recording time was so bright, while in the b/w AVI i got it wasn't so bright as I saw in the monitor(it was colored in the monitor cuz i enabled debayering in IC capture), while if i disable debayering in IC capture, and i wan't to get the b/w AVI, i can't do that cuz in registax if I don't enable debayering the final image will be in raw mode,but b/w...i mean the final image is composed by a lot dots, like the raw images....help me i wan't to record in B/W but not like this!

Stefan Geissler
January 12, 2009, 10:59:24
Please have a look here:
http://www.astronomycamerasblog.com/2008/05/16/colored-raw-data-uncompressed-y800-capture-registax-import/

Do not enable debayering in IC Capture, because then you will save the debayered to greyscale converted images into the AVI file!

Eminem2Pac
January 12, 2009, 11:36:19
thank u for answer, but this is the way to get colors in the avi, i need to save the AVI in b/w by using dbk color raw camera, without getting the final pic composed by so much dots, raw image...thank u for future answers, and i want to know if grayscale=b/w and why if i get greyscale on the monitor i see the AVI bright(i know i see in the monitor the color cuz i enabled the debayering by IC capture) and in the final AVI after recording the brightness is less than the recording time

Stefan Geissler
January 12, 2009, 12:23:42
If you want to save a grayscale image, then you should use either the BY8 or the UYVY video format of the camera. As codec you should use the "Y800 uncompressed". This should save the image as grayscale image, but not as raw-data. This avoids the bayer-pattern. The AVI file will be grayscale, even if the live display is colored.

Eminem2Pac
January 12, 2009, 12:41:48
so I choose Y800 and BY8 as code, should i disable debayering in IC capture?
And in the final AVi i dont ave the images as dots(raw data) but only B/W images?
Because i need to record venus by using Violet filter and i need to see venus in b/w for processing software....am I right?

Stefan Geissler
January 12, 2009, 12:43:38
Do not disable debayering and test this before going in the field!

Eminem2Pac
January 12, 2009, 13:42:31
but i don't understand why when i recorded the venus AVI, by using Y800 and Y800 with debayering enabled in IC capture the grayscale was so dark...it wasn't so bright like in the monitor

Stefan Geissler
January 12, 2009, 14:04:00
Well, I am not able to reproduce this. But Y800 procudes raw data.

Eminem2Pac
January 13, 2009, 01:33:18
If you want to save a grayscale image, then you should use either the BY8 or the UYVY video format of the camera. As codec you should use the "Y800 uncompressed". This should save the image as grayscale image, but not as raw-data. This avoids the bayer-pattern. The AVI file will be grayscale, even if the live display is colored.

dear Stefan, thank u for all answers, i need another help, i made some tests, with Y800 and BY8 with debayering/ and disabling debayering in IC capture.AS, in both codec i can reach the final color by using debayering in registax, not only in the Y800 codec! Should By8 only in b/w?
Can u explain me what Y800 and BY8 means?
What is the best setup(codec and others) to get real b/w AVis with a DBK camera?
thank u

Stefan Geissler
January 13, 2009, 09:01:17
"BY8" is the same as "Y800". But it is used as "BY8" to advise DirectShow to insert the DeBayerTransform filter automatically, to get colored images. If you disable the debayering, then you will see the raw data.

Eminem2Pac
January 13, 2009, 11:42:42
thus there is a simple function like a normal webcam to get easy b/w images without color and debayering? I mean an option in ICcaptureAS to enable to get b/w?

Stefan Geissler
January 13, 2009, 16:39:23
The only way is to use the YUV video format and set the saturation property to 0.

Eminem2Pac
January 13, 2009, 17:07:21
ok thank u for answers, i will check and try this mode!

Eminem2Pac
January 16, 2009, 11:53:51
The only way is to use the YUV video format and set the saturation property to 0.

hi mate,
Video format YUY2?
And Codec? Still Y800?
only Saturation at 0?
And if i use Y800 video format and Y800 codec, and i put Saturation at level 0 will i get a b/w raw image when i debayer with registax?
Please help me tonight i have to record venus!

Stefan Geissler
January 19, 2009, 10:07:08
Yes, you are right.

YUY2 with codec Y800 provides a bw image.

Y800 with saturation 0 will not have an influences, as far as I know.

Y800 with debayering provides a BW image too