PDA

View Full Version : New user here!!!

bikerart
December 16, 2008, 02:10:35
I am using IC Capture with my DFK 41. When I select the camera I get the message "Error: Live mode could not be started. Make sure no other program uses the device and that there is enough bandwidth on your fire wire bus available."

So what does this mean?

I have the camera plugged in to a USB 2.0 and fire wire adapter card. There isn't any other device on the card. This is not a fire wire device.

I get the same message if I plug right in to the PC or if I have two devices plugged in to the adapter card.

Thanks in advance

Art

Stefan Geissler
December 16, 2008, 09:16:38
Hello Art,

Do you have an USB or a FireWire camera? If you have a USB camera and an AMD computer, then may be the USB performance of the board is too low.

However, please try to set a lower frame rate and see, whether you receive an image.

If you use an USB camera, then you may need a better USB 2.0 HighSpeed board?

bikerart
December 17, 2008, 04:10:18
Stefan.

I actually had the moon showing up on this PC in Jan of this year, it was set up on my small refractor then. Just to see how it worked. I was stoked!!!

Since then I have put on a GPS unit on the ASCG5. So, I figure that I should be able to get connected even though I am testing everything, indoors.

If I remember correctly I never got this connected at all on the C8/ASCG5. Could not get it to go live. I can get it in live mode at this time.

I have a 2" visual back with a Feathertouch focuser behind the C8. I have the IS into the diagonal from the focuser.

I have the connection from camera to the PCMCIA adapter card, which of course is plugged into the PC.

While using IC Capture, I assume if I pass a flashlight by the camera, I should see some sort of change on the screen, is that correct?

The PC screen remains dark, with no hint of light coming through. Passing a light in front of the CCD has the same result.

Art

Stefan Geissler
December 17, 2008, 12:17:33
Hi Art,

I have a little trouble understanding your problem. Is the GPS connected to the same USB port as the camera?
If the camera is connected to the computer and you started the live video, does the IC Capture error message come up?
If not, did you rise the exposure time? What was the exposure time?

I am very sorry for asking so many questions back to you.

bikerart
December 18, 2008, 01:48:44
OK Stephan. Here is how I have things set up at the moment.

I have my DSI Pro guider plugged into the back of my PC's usb port, (one of two).

Being as I was told about a power issue, maybe I separated the GPUSB and the DSI Pro.

I have the IS ccd on the PCMCIA adapter as well as the GPUSB. The GPUSB is then plugged into the Autoguider port on the mount.

I have a GPS on my tripod, from the GPS it goes to the Aux2 port on the GPS hub. Aux1 port is used by NexStar HC. The PC port is empty. The GPS hub is plugged into the Hand Controller port on the ASCG5 mount.

So there it is, what do you think?

Art

Stefan Geissler
December 18, 2008, 08:56:28
Hi Art,

Thank you very much for your explanation. The problem is, that the GPS and the camera are connected to the same USB controller. This results in frame dropping, cause by the USB bus topology. The problem can only be solved by using a lower frame rate for the camera. The frame rate can easily set in IC Capture, please see the "fps" labeled combobox.

bikerart
December 19, 2008, 00:37:45
Stephan

I will have to wait to see if I can bring images up on the PC, after we get done with the snow here.

Everything is talking to everything else at least. It is a major victory.

Thanks for the tips. It would be nice to see something come out of the $870. camera finally! I know I could have spent a ton more on a camera but this will be fine for my use I'm sure.

Art

Stefan Geissler
December 19, 2008, 10:20:50
Art,

Thank you!

Please test the camera at home, before going in the field. I know, you know this, but I only want to mention.

I am on holidays next week to 5th January.

bikerart
December 21, 2008, 20:38:03
Do you have a way to test the camera while inside. I tried shining a laser on the wall and shining a flashlight at the OTA. I did not see anything on the screen to indicate the camera saw anything. Being as I saw the moon on my PC screen earlier this year using my refractor, I know the S/W and camera do work well.

Art

Stefan Geissler
December 29, 2008, 11:39:31
Do you have a way to test the camera while inside. I tried shining a laser on the wall and shining a flashlight at the OTA. I did not see anything on the screen to indicate the camera saw anything. Being as I saw the moon on my PC screen earlier this year using my refractor, I know the S/W and camera do work well.

Quite simple: Connect the camera, start IC Capture. You should see something. Then put something in front of the CCD (your hand) and the image should be dark now. If the automatics are running, the gain should rise, which results in noise.