PDA

View Full Version : ASCOM Driver under Development

Schnaejel
October 10, 2008, 09:19:47
Hi Folks,

a few weeks ago I started development of an ASCOM Driver. It works already. Little functions of the camera interface are not implemented, such as the ImageArray Variant method. But I think that grabbing the raw image from the camera is already enough. The debayering is normally done in Maxim DL or other image processing software. Here is an actual screen shoot of a test session.
http://deepsky.endofinternet.org/projects/images/ASCOM-Driver-DMKCAM.3.jpg

Features:

- Permanent Setup Dialog (I am not follow the ASCOM recommendation, a permanent setup dialog is usefull to tune exposure values like gain and offset)
- Exposure time control is done via maxim dl
- ROI control from Maxim DL
- Importing the camera device name into the fits format
- etc.

To-Do's / Actual tests
- Setup Routine: Packaging the ASCOM Driver and the runtime libraries and testing

The first beta release will be soon. For more details about development you can visit my web site.

Kind regards,

Gerrit

Stefan Geissler
October 10, 2008, 12:26:54
Hi Gerrit,

thank you for publishing your driver. It is highly appreciated!

Schnaejel
November 13, 2008, 12:35:34
Hi DMK Users,

please find the latest ASCOM-Driver-Release here:

http://deepsky.endofinternet.org/download/DMKCCD_Setup.zip

The following improvements over the last version where done:

- faster download times between the camera and your imaging software (f.e. maxim dl).

- test and further development under Windows Vista

Thanks in advance for feedback, recommendations and error reportings.

Kind regards,

Gerrit

amastro
January 9, 2009, 21:31:58
Hi DMK Users,
please find the latest ASCOM-Driver-Release here:
http://deepsky.endofinternet.org/download/DMKCCD_Setup.zip

Hi Gerrit,

The site, quoted above, seems does not work. Are there any other possibilities to download ASCOM driver?

Schnaejel
January 14, 2009, 09:07:34
Hi !

At first! Sorry for my late answer!

Due several changes of my webserver the download link is not longer valid.
Please use this link in future.

To the projects section (http://deepsky.endofinternet.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=53)

Or visit http://deepsky.endofinternet.org. Go to the Projects section and than
to the Driver Page.

The driver development is still ongoing. I hope to release the next version at the end of january. There are actually some optimizations done and some more of the ASCOM methods were implemented.

If TIS will deliver a color Astronomy Camera for testing the support for this kind of camera will be considered.

Be invited to test, report errors and further suggestions at this forum.

With kind regards,

Gerrit

Gonzalo Fernánd
January 15, 2009, 01:26:14
Hi Gerrit,

thanks for your work.

I've installed your driver as described in the Installation Guide. The driver installation is completed reporting no errors, but when I try to start-up the driver I cannot find the driver in the ASCOM Camera Chooser, it only appears the simulator. I'm running a DMK21AU04 on a XP-SP3 Laptop with ASCOM platform V5. Plese, could you give me some advice?

Thanks,
Gonzalo

Schnaejel
January 19, 2009, 22:58:52
Hi Gonzalo,

did you install the imaging source driver first?
How ever. I will test it in an equal environment tomorrow. Please stay patient.

Kind regards,
Gerrit

Gonzalo Fernánd
January 20, 2009, 11:36:50
Hi Gerrit,

yes, the driver was already installed. I've been running the camera under IC Capture.AS, Guidemaster (TIS plugin), PHDguiding and MaximDl with no problem at all. I've never tried an ASCOM driver for a Camera, so maybe (surely) I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, I'm plenty of patient; it's a must in astro-photography, isn't it? :)

P.S. I forgot to mention: I have both 4.62 and 5.03 vesrions of Maxim running; I'd prefer to uses 4.62 as it looks there is some weid behavior while guiding with 5.03

Best regards,
Gonzalo.

Schnaejel
January 20, 2009, 15:36:08
Hi Gonzalo,

today I tested the actual driver version under windows XP with my DMx 31AU03.AS! It works!

Which ASCOM Version do you use? The driver was tested and developed with ASCOM 5.0.

Did you install the ASCOM .Net Extensions when you did setup the ASCOM environment?

Thanks in advance for reply &
Kind regards,
Gerrit

Schnaejel
January 20, 2009, 15:38:44
Hi Folks,

when using Windows Vista, the driver does not behave like under Windows XP systems (where it runs "stable"). Under Windows Vista 32 Home Premium it may occure that the driver hangs! I am considering this behavior actually in the actual development stage.

Kind regards,

Gerrit

Gonzalo Fernánd
January 20, 2009, 22:10:11
Hi Gerrit,

I was running ASCOM V5.0. As I didn't remember if I installed the ASCOM .NET Extensions, I have reinstalled (repaired) ASCOM V5.0. After repairing the platform, the installation program recomends to check for .NET updates; I've done it (Windows Update) and there was a Service Pack that I've installed. Then I've installed again your driver and, VOILA :). Now it's running perfectly. Very desirable for MaximDL's users.

Thank you very much, Gerrit.

Gonzalo.