PDA

View Full Version : RF Interference Help?

pessemist
June 10, 2008, 20:21:51
I own a DFK 41AF02 Color Firewire camera.

I just found a dark site that was prefect. When I set up the camera I noticed the computer screen apparently lost vertical hold with the screen vertically rolling the image.

I thought the camera had malfunctioned but on taking the equipment home it operated perfectly.

I subsequently ran the laptop and camera off batteries but still had the problem at the dark site. This site is essentially a self-storage unit in the middle of a giant field. The problem is present day and night (lights of storage area are off). No equipment seems to be operating.

We are about 3 miles from a local airport (Toledo Express).

I tried wrapping the camera in foil and isolating the camera and scope INSIDE the metal storage unit (maybe act as shield?). Nothing helped--not even a little.

This is obviously some sort of RF interference. Does anyone know of a work around for this problem?

I really love this dark site and would have major problems trying to find another.

Doc Doug

Stefan Geissler
June 11, 2008, 08:44:00
Hi Doc Doug,

Is it possible to show an image? You can attach it to a post in forum.

Thus I would get an idea.

If it phenomena looks like damaged images and your computer has an Intel Duo Core CPU, then you may try the FireWirePerformance Manager. You can download it from http://www.imagingcontrol.com/downloads/tools/

pessemist
June 11, 2008, 17:10:24
Hi Doc Doug,

Is it possible to show an image? You can attach it to a post in forum.

Thus I would get an idea.

If it phenomena looks like damaged images and your computer has an Intel Duo Core CPU, then you may try the FireWirePerformance Manager. You can download it from http://www.imagingcontrol.com/downloads/tools/

I will try and get a pic tonight.

It is obviously some type of EMI or RF interference since it is location dependent. Also it occurs even when all equipment is isolated from 120v by battery usage (laptop & Camera).

I downloaded and installed the firewire control software but I wonder if this will help with RF interference generated problems?

Could this be the laptop (built in WiFi) picking up something?

I am not sure how, but I'll check and see if I can turn off the WiFi on the laptop and see if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would mention that I have several other cameras (USB) that operate in this locale without any issues.

Douglas Schwan DC

Stefan Geissler
June 12, 2008, 08:33:36
Douglas,

I would like to see an image before I can create an opinion.

pessemist
June 12, 2008, 15:21:03
Attached is a picture taken at 15fps. At this frame rate all frames are ruined.

At 7.5 fps 50-60% of the frames are damaged. At 3.5 fps every 30th frame or so is damaged by interference.

Firewire management software has been installed.

Wireless WiFi has been deactivated in the laptop.

Neither of these approaches made any difference in the interference.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Douglas Schwan DC

pessemist
June 16, 2008, 14:46:17
Nobody has experience with this problem?

Douglas Schwan DC

Stefan Geissler
June 16, 2008, 16:03:25
Douglas

The image look for lost packages in FireWire transfer. Did you try another cable?

I thought the camera had malfunctioned but on taking the equipment home it operated perfectly.
There must be a difference in the equipment. What about power supply for the laptop and camera, was it exactly the same as in the field?

Also I would like to now your laptop model. If I can see the specifiations, may be I can find something about the issue.

pessemist
June 16, 2008, 19:45:53
Setup was exactly the same at home and in the field with the exception that it was daytime at home during the test and night time out in the field.

Cable, camera & laptop all identical.

I have setup several times in both locales and get same results: In the field the camera is unusable while at home in the living room I can image through the window all day.

I am using a Gateway Laptop with Vista. I will post the model number tonight when I get home.

Douglas Schwan DC

Stefan Geissler
June 17, 2008, 12:00:14
Douglas,

If you had said Vista earlier, we would have been able to shorten this thread. The current FireWire Performance Manager works only in XP, a Vista version is available, but I would sent it to you by email.

Now I know, you use a Gateway laptop. But what model? I can not guess the model, thus I do not know the CPU, thus I do not know, whether the FieWire Performance Manager will work.

Please let me know the exact model.

pessemist
June 19, 2008, 02:20:49
The exact model is a Gateway MX8738

IntelŪ PentiumŪ Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T2080
1 MB L2 Cache | 1.73 GHz | 533 MHz FSB

http://assets.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/SonicC/1014556R/1014556Rsp2.shtml

Douglas Schwan DC

Stefan Geissler
June 19, 2008, 16:29:44
Douglas,

First of all, I removed your email address from your post, because spam robots searches for emails in forums too.

Your specification is exact and a help. I suggest to try the Vista FireWire Performance Manager. I sent it to you by email.

Are the images damaged if you let the computer run at home on battery power?