PDA

View Full Version : Which camera is right for me?

RPS60050
May 19, 2008, 19:02:25
I was told about the imaging source astro cameras by the guys at OPT. I am new to this and am looking for a camera that will show me real time, color images of faint objects like galaxies and nebulas. I was also told that a DSLR like the new cannon 450D and a program called deep sky stacker will also give me "almost" real time images and will also have a much larger fov.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated -:confused:

RP

oldfield
May 20, 2008, 03:49:41
DBK seems to be great choice for you, since it does not have built-in filter of any sort, you can the best sensitivity.

DSLR has built-in filter which makes them less sensitive to H-alpha light, of course, you can always remove the filter but then it's another story.

martinel
May 20, 2008, 13:42:52
Hello,

No color camera can give you a real live-display galaxies or nebula, because most of these objects are simply to faint. For most of these objects you need exposure times of dozens of seconds or rather several minutes to capture detail.

Color sensors loose a lot of sensitivity due to the color filters themselves.

With highly-sensitive b/w sensors such as the SonyEX series you could get near live images with exposures of about 10s, when using telescopes with a short focal ratio such as f/4.

Alas, the TIS cameras dont use EX chips from Sony, yet. Offering cameras with these chips would be a very interesting improvement!!!

Best regards,
Martin