PDA

View Full Version : USB and Firewire cameras - Differences?

celstark
April 30, 2008, 23:16:43
Forgive me if this comes through twice -- apparently, a timeout had logged me out before hitting Send...

I have software written to support the Firewire cameras using the C++ Class library. I also support generic WDM, but this leaves a bit to be desired as, as far as I can tell, one cannot do things like set the exposure duration directly via a standard WDM call. I now have users that have USB cameras and they have been working off of the WDM driver rather than the specific TIS / Firewire / C++ Class library version.

Do they have to do this or does the C++ Library support the USB cameras as well? If so, are there any differences? If a user has one firewire and one USB on there, would getAvailableVideoCaptureDevices() nicely return a list of two and one would never really know that one is Firewire and the other USB?

Craig

Sascha Schmidt
May 2, 2008, 13:13:16
Hello,

IC Imaging Control Professional supports all WDM stream class devices, regardless of firewire or USB.

IC Imaging Control doesn't even know whether a device is connected via firewire or USB.