PDA

View Full Version : IC capture feature wishlist

martinel
April 16, 2008, 08:20:10
Hello,

I am using a DMK41 with IC Capture for numerous astronomical uses and would like to see some additional features in the software:

1) Full log of all image-settings such as gain, exposure, brightness, noise-reduction and similar for EACH image, written to a separate log-file. That would be usefull when operating the camera with frequently changed settings, or in automatic-mode, to be able to numerically evaluate/compare the captured images. Ideally this information would be available for each image of a video, if some settings were in automatic mode. This logging mechanism would probably not be activated per default. I would expect this to be rather simple. Some CSL format should be good enough.

2) Automatic sequence of videos. The software can already create a sequence of images, captured at regular intervalls. I would like the option to get a sequence of videos. This could be used to document events such as planetary rotation or similar, where each video would be later processed to get a optimized image for that specific point in time. Should not be difficult, either.

3) Precise timestamps on the images in a videostream, so that they can be used for timing transient events such as asteroid occultations or meteors. Counting/considering dropped images would be a part of this. An absolute timing would need to rely on a precisely synchronized system-clock, but that would be the owners task.

4) Displaying augmented live-images, where each image would be processed before displaying. The purpose here is to make structures/details visible in the live-display, which are difficult to see in the raw live images. Of course, the processing to be done would have to be configurable, preferably through some scripting or plugin-mechanism. This feature could be quite interesting to build.

Of course, i am willing and eager to assist in testing (and possibly building) these features.

Best regards,
Martin

Stefan Geissler
April 16, 2008, 09:28:10
Martin,

Thank you for this list. I already forwarded a request to my boss, who will make the decisions.

I wonder, whether there are alread programs on the web, that fullfill all these requirements.

Laurent
April 21, 2008, 23:14:33
Hi Martin and Stephan,

The proposed feature are very interesting, especially 1, 2, 3, with a special preference for 3.
It would also be an improvement to be able to choose exposures in a more user-fiendly manner, as I wrote in a previous post (http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=320511).

Laurent

Laurent
May 4, 2008, 22:57:08
For long exposures, a progression bar (or something like) would be a useful feature.

And for motion analysis in the classroom, other fpv values would be an improvement (10 fps, 20 fps, ...). But I don't know if fps are software or hardware coded.

Laurent

Stefan Geissler
May 5, 2008, 08:54:36
Laurent,

The frame rates of the cameras are specifed by the DCam specification. Thus the values are determined.