PDA

View Full Version : IC capture trial questions

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 01:46:25
Hi,
I have downloaded the trial version of IC capture, and have encountered some strangeness with it.

Imaging source driver installed OK, successfully using Sony XCD-SX900 camera.

When I start up the program, I get the "available video capture devices dialog box, with "XCDSX900/K1.00" as the only device to select from (looks OK).

I select this one, and then get the video format dialog box. I select 1280x960(all other settings default, i.e. 30fps). All is well.

The image comes up in live mode, but I get an error dialog box saying that
"The device 'XCDSX900/K1.00 (serial number)' is in live mode but does not seem to deliver images, blah blah". However, the camera is quite happily capturing and displaying video right behind the error box. Clicking OK makes the error box go away, and all seems fine.

A second and possibly related problem is that I cannot save any images, either single still s or sequences of stills. I am not sure if this is a limitation of the trial software, but if so, it should be clearly indicated somewhere, instead of just a warning about the 30 day limit.

Cheers,

Pete

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 02:04:50
Looks like video recording, single file and sequential numbering seem to work OK... So the problem is just single and sequential image capture.

Cheers,

Pete

Stefan Geissler
March 3, 2008, 11:33:26
Pete,

First of all, IC Capture Trial is exactly the same as IC Capture professional. This means, that all features should work in the same way.

The "blah blah" message occurs after a time out. If images are delivered, then ignore this message.

What happens, if you try to save images? Do you get any error messages? If you showed the "Image Sequence Bar" you can see where the images are to be saved. (Menu View->Toolbars)

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 12:59:23
Thanks for the prompt reply.

Bought up the image sequence bar, but any attempt to save a file by either clicking on the disk icon, or selecting save from the file menu results in no action. The button clicks in, and comes out after the mouse button is released, and thats it. Nothing. Same type of effect when I try to go file -> save. No effect.

Tried both a sequence, and also just a single image.
Interestingly, the snap button goes grey after clicking, and does not reset. So does the save image sequence.

Not sure if I've mentioned what I'm ultimately trying to do.. I want to be able to automatically create a sequence of images, each image captured (and saved) by the activation of the TRIGGER input on the SX900 camera. Ideally, I would like to be able to set a maximum (or expected) number of images to be captured in this manner.

I am using Windows XP, SP2.

Cheers,

Pete

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 13:20:52
More testing.. I can save and load configuration files OK. So file permissions doesnt seem to be the issue.

I can cause the program to crash if I close the viewing window and attempt to open a new one. I can include the crashdump info if this will help.

The workstation is fully stable, minimally loaded, 2gb ram, and intel c2d 6320 cpu.

Cheers,

Pete

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 14:36:43
More testing...

By trying to use the timer to capture images, the timer counts down to the time of next capture, and then continues to count negative.

Additionally, the "snap image", "new image sequence", and "save image to sequence" buttons go greyed out when the timer hits 0, same as if I push the snap button or the save image to sequence button, but, oddly enough, these buttons do not grey out if i go file -> save image (ctrl U), though nothing happens.

I have also tried this on newer hardware now (updated ******board to one based on Intel P35 chipset, 4gb ram and Intel C2D E8200).

Cheers,

Pete

Stefan Geissler
March 3, 2008, 16:20:25
Pete,

If you use a 16 bit video format, then DirectShow may not find any color space transformations. Thus images can not be saved.
What video format and what driver do you use?

ogoun
March 3, 2008, 17:00:52
I'm fairly sure its 32 bit.. Still, I would expect an error dialog box under such circumstances, instead of just nothing. Perhaps this is worth adding into the next version.

Why would video capture work OK? Wouldnt it also be affected by a 16 bit video format?

The driver would be yours.. Your driver (the trial driver is in the same place on your website as the trial of ic capture) supports the Sony sx900 firewire camera.

Perhaps I could try a different image source/driver.. What would you suggest?

Cheers,

Pete

ogoun
March 4, 2008, 16:20:15
<BUMP>
What's happening with this?
I need to get this setup working soon so we can determine whether it will do what we need.

Cheers,

Pete

Stefan Geissler
March 4, 2008, 17:00:20
Pete,

we tested this on our computers, and -- it worked fine. This is no help for you, I know.

Well, you can use graphedit (graphedt.exe) and connect to the remote graph (created by IC Capture). Then we could see, which DirectShow filters are in use and whether they are disconnected.

If you would send an email to support@imagingcontrol.com, I could send you a registry that enables debugoutput too, this could help for debugging too.

I am very sorry, for not having better answers right now.

ogoun
March 5, 2008, 04:51:22
Just tried replacing the firewire cable, just in case. No change, unfortunately.

ogoun
March 5, 2008, 13:47:05
OK, just sent you the debug file(s)

Cheers,

Pete

ogoun
March 5, 2008, 14:45:26
Update:

Removed the fairly average Newport ESP stage controller software I had installed for a previous project, and now suddenly I can save image files.

The snap and save sequence buttons are still broken, but I feel fairly sure that this is possibly just buggy UI code.

Using the timer to initiate save sequences, keeping away from the snap and save sequence buttons, and enabling the trigger input on the camera seems to work.

Cheers,

Pete

Stefan Geissler
March 5, 2008, 18:01:34
Pete,

The IC Capture programmer told me, that the "buggy UI" behavior can only happen, if the internal "frameReady" would not be called. But the "frameReady" is called, because you are able to save images from a sequence.

If you are able to save images by the time, then it must work through the buttons too, because they do the same.