PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Newbie ?

bmcqueen
February 18, 2008, 21:26:16
Hi all, I am a total newbie to astronomy and in particular astronomy cameras. I have a 6" telescope (model 750150 telescope, Focal Length: 750mm, Diam 150mm) and a DMK 41AF02.AS CCD camera. Is there a newbies guide anywhere to getting the two items to view decent photos ? The software & camera detect ok, but the image is very distorted, etc. Do I need to any any further lenses, etc. Any ideas ? Sorry for being so thick - but as I said this is totally new to me. The image below is what I am seeing ! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/BazMcQ/image1.jpg

profjohn
February 19, 2008, 14:36:31
What was the scope pointed at during this image attempt?

bmcqueen
February 20, 2008, 15:05:21
What was the scope pointed at during this image attempt?

It was a lovely clear view of the moon !!:confused:

Stefan Geissler
February 22, 2008, 11:20:31
Hi,

it seems, the image is either overexposed or simply blurred. I would point to overexposed. Do you control the live image in your image capture software?

bmcqueen
February 23, 2008, 13:31:53
Yeah - I control it using IC Capture, but I have tried all the settings, but it does not seem to make any difference .

Barry

Stefan Geissler
February 25, 2008, 08:17:33
Barry,

I guess, the image is blurred. This means you may have the wrong adapter for your telescope or the camera. I guess you tried to get a sharp image by focus your telescope?

bmcqueen
February 25, 2008, 23:17:04
Yep - tried focusing - how do you know what adapter is required ?

Barry

profjohn
February 25, 2008, 23:36:31
first try a pole or a tree or something down the street from your house so that you can initially get an object in the field of view. I think you must first play with the placement of the telescope adapter.

A good rule is to start w/ the adapter all the way into the diagonal, focus all in/out and then repeat. Move the adapter out a touch and repeat. Try it and let me know.