PDA

View Full Version : IC Capture.AS exposure values

Laurent
February 3, 2008, 00:47:42
Hello,

IC Capture.AS let us choose exposure times among unusual values. For example, successive short exposures available are 1/222 s, 1/185 s, 1/154 s and successive long exposure are 23.173 s, 27.576 s, 32.817 s, 39.054 s.

I find this really inconvenient. So I searched a better solution to propose. This picture illustrate what I imagined.

http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=506&stc=1&d=1201999024

The pre-programmed exposures are listed in the second control. Their interval can be choosed in the first control in IL (1, 1/2, 1/3), like with a photo camera. The exposure time can also be choosed with the slider. The last control enables to type directly the desired exposure. It accepts decimal numbers and fractions of a second.

Many users might be interested in such a way to select exposure time. I believe it would be an improvement for a future version of IC Capture.AS. Is there a hope to have a future version of IC Capture with this kind of improvement? If needed, I can send the executable and even the source code to TIS.

Laurent

Stefan Geissler
February 4, 2008, 14:35:24
Laurent,

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I will forward it to my colleagues in our development department.

I am sure that they will put it onto their todo list for the next version.

Laurent
February 4, 2008, 22:34:58
Hi Stephan,

Many thanks for our reply. I hope the developers of IC Capture.AS take into account that suggestion.

Laurent

Stefan Geissler
February 5, 2008, 07:27:16
Laurent,

I had another look into IC Capture. If you open the property dialog (right mouse click on the live screen, then select "Properties"), then you can enter the exposure time directly as value. You simply click on the field, that shows the exposure time and enter the wanted times. Times bigger than 1 seconds are entered as "1.n", times smaller are entered as "1/nn sec". See the attached image.
I am not sure whether it is implemented in your current IC Capture.AS version but it is implemented in the latest IC Capture. If you need this version, please send an email to support@imagingcontrol.com

Laurent
February 5, 2008, 11:04:37
Stehan,

Thanks a lot for pointing out that to me. That works for exposures in the form 1/n second. But when I type any number of seconds (as a number without the '/' character) and click Update, my entry is always replaced by "1/10000 sec". The behaviour of the "Auto Max Value" text control is the same.

The version of IC Capture.AS that I use is 2.0.1.483. I don't know if it is the latest.

Laurent

Stefan Geissler
February 5, 2008, 15:12:41
Hi Laurent,

I just met the programmer. He said, there seems to be an error. It will be fixed in one of the next versions.

Laurent
February 5, 2008, 18:37:21
Hi Stefan,

Thanks again for your feedback. I am impatient to discover soon the new updated version.

Laurent

Stefan Geissler
February 6, 2008, 08:32:36
Laurent,

I am afraid, this takes its time, because the IC Capture programmer is busy with other tasks at this point of time.

Laurent
February 15, 2009, 17:22:52
Hi Stefan,

Laurent,

I am afraid, this takes its time, because the IC Capture programmer is busy with other tasks at this point of time.

Has this problem been fixed since last year?
(I have IC Capture.AS version 2.0.1.533.)

Laurent

mkarban
March 8, 2009, 08:53:44
There is a program called Amcap.
It's free for download, just google for it.
It works well with the IS cameras and does not suffer this limitation.

Laurent
March 8, 2009, 11:58:41
Hi mkarban,

Thanks for your reply. I looked at AMCap but I have some problems. My camera is a MK 21AU03.AS (1024*768) set at 30 im/s
- the captured videos are only 720*480 (instead of 1024*768)
- I found no possibility to choose exposure time as a fraction or number of seconds (only a scale from -13 to +11)
- Still images captures don't work (error message about a "windowless renderer" that I don't understand)

Did I miss something?

In fact, still capture worked once (I don't remember what I did) and the resulting image has a large diagonal bar inside a rectangle with a text stating this is a demo version (registration is 24,17 euros).

I believe the better is that programmers at Imaging Source correct the little bug in their program, but unluckily it takes a very very very long time... :-(

Laurent

mkarban
March 8, 2009, 12:06:51
See this thread, sounds similar:
DBK21 Exposure settings
http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=321151

mkarban
March 8, 2009, 12:12:44
I wasn't even aware there was a demo version...
I always thought it was completely free.
My version is 9.01 if that helps.

Laurent
March 8, 2009, 12:40:03
See this thread, sounds similar:
DBK21 Exposure settings
http://www.theimagingsourceforums.com/showthread.php?t=321151

Thanks for this link, but it doesn't help. I am able to enter an exposure value, but there is a problem in the program (IC Capture.AS), as Stefan wrote.

Laurent
March 8, 2009, 12:40:53
I wasn't even aware there was a demo version...
I always thought it was completely free.
My version is 9.01 if that helps.

I downloaded version 9.20 directly from NoŽl Danjou's website.

Stefan Geissler
March 9, 2009, 08:19:45
Hello,

First of all, AMCAP is kind of freeware. It is one of the DirectSHow samples. There is no registration necessary.

Secondly: If an AVI File is resized , then in most cases the DV-Encoder was in use as codec. This codec creates a DV stream, that means, the size is changed to an NTSC or PAL-B size and the frame rate is changed.

mkarban
March 9, 2009, 08:29:34
Thanks for this link, but it doesn't help. I am able to enter an exposure value, but there is a problem in the program (IC Capture.AS), as Stefan wrote.

I think that may fix not being able to enter the values in amcap, I'm also aware of the problem in IC Capture.

I enter values directly into amcap, works nicely, except that I only know how to make avis. eg. I single frame avi needs to be converted to a tiff or other file format, which adds in an extra step.

Stefan Geissler
March 9, 2009, 09:02:49
If you click on the number field of exposure in the properties dialog you can at least enter some values like "1/3", but no decimal values. That means, if you entered "10/5", then you receive an exposure time of 2 seconds. Thus 100/5 will result in 20 seconds (10/1 results in 10 secods). "23.5/1" does not work. I must surrender this is weird, but it still works.