PDA

View Full Version : USB camera....

oldfrankland
November 18, 2007, 05:11:21
Quick question: I just received a USB camera, the documentation says I need to use a computer with USB 2.0....is this strictly true? I am having trouble with loading drivers for the USB camera. The camera is detected by the computer, but the driver loading sequence always comes up with prompt that no device is connected. My computer has USB 1. If the strictly USB 2 is true, then this is a major disappointment as other equipment designed for USB 2 will still operate adequately with USB 1.

This is my second camera, the firewire camera was returned because it only produced broken up images. Now, the USB camera is dead in the water. Not a happy camper.

Jim Ferreira
Livermore CA

Stefan Geissler
November 19, 2007, 12:37:47
Hi Jim,

Unfortunatelly it is true, USB 2.0 is needed. Sorry for this.

If the FireWire camera only delivers broken images, then I would like to know, what computer you use. Ususally the FireWirePerformanceManager can fix those problems on Intel Duo Core systems with Windows XP.
http://www.imagingcontrol.com/downloads/tools/

I would like to apologize for trouble we have caused to you.

oldfrankland
November 19, 2007, 16:32:35
Hello Stefan

No need to apologize, as it is obvious from the ocean of astro photos that you folks are producing excellent instruments. And, I'm looking forward to getting the USB camera operational.

Knowing that I absolutely need USB2 for the software to recognize the camera helps a great deal. I should be able to come up with an upgrade to USB2 for my computer, which should get me going.

My biggest concern was that I could not get the camera operational, essentially, upload the driver for the camera. As I mentioned, I have other equipment that is designed for USB2 but is operational with USB1.1. When the DMK camera software would not recognize the camera, I feared the worst.

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Stefan Geissler
November 19, 2007, 17:00:41
Jim,

If I connect the USB camera to my old USB 1.1 ports, then I get a Windows balloon tool tip shown "USB device not recognized". Then i can not do anything with it. The USB camera can not switch back from USB High Speed to (480 MBit) to FullSpeed (12 MBit), thus it can not work with USB 1.1.

If you can not use the camera, the I suggest to return it.

oldfrankland
November 19, 2007, 23:01:13
Jim,

If I connect the USB camera to my old USB 1.1 ports, then I get a Windows balloon tool tip shown "USB device not recognized". Then i can not do anything with it. The USB camera can not switch back from USB High Speed to (480 MBit) to FullSpeed (12 MBit), thus it can not work with USB 1.1.

If you can not use the camera, the I suggest to return it.

Stefan, I intend to just upgrade my computer to USB2. I think I have a sufficient microprocessor to support doing so.

Thanks,
Jim

Stefan Geissler
November 20, 2007, 09:17:38
Jim,

What CPU do you use? In my opinion a PIII 800 MHz should be the lower limit.

Rando
November 22, 2007, 23:44:14
With all due respect to Imaging Source, maybe in future advertisements, it should be mentioned that the DMK USB cameras are NOT backward compatible with USB 1.0.

Many "specialty" peripherals need the 2.0 spec to drive them.

Stefan Geissler
November 23, 2007, 10:40:31
I will forward this tip to the marketing department .

oldfrankland
November 25, 2007, 20:14:13
With all due respect to Imaging Source, maybe in future advertisements, it should be mentioned that the DMK USB cameras are NOT backward compatible with USB 1.0.

Many "specialty" peripherals need the 2.0 spec to drive them.

Yeah, I'd definitely go along with that.

As an update on my USB camera, I was not able to use it with my Pentium III system with a USB 2.0 board added. There is some kind of conflict in the system as the software was never able to recognize the camera, though Windows showed the camera when attached.

On a second computer using the Intel Celeron CPU and USB 2.0, the software and camera performed perfectly. Unfortunately this second computer is not available for use at the telescope, so I'll eventually have to buy a new computer if I cannot work out the program/driver conflicts. Gotta love computers....

Cheers,
Jim
Livermore CA

BobWhite
November 29, 2007, 13:50:38
Hi
I am new to this forum, got my DMK_21AU04.AS yesterday. Just to say loaded driver and program on 800Mhz Pentium running Windows XP-SP2, with a USB2 PCI card this morning, and seems OK. This is the computer I use for imaging near the telescope. Frame rates seem lower than the computer in the house (2Gigahertz), again with Windows XP-SP2, not suprising I suppose.

Bob White