PDA

View Full Version : New camera, live mode, no images....

oldfrankland
October 19, 2007, 16:58:30
Well, I got my DMK 21AF04.AS from Adirondack Astronomy yesterday.
Today went down and picked up a firewire card for my desktop PC and a
good quality 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cord. Installed the card,
everything seemed a go.

Installed the camera driver and software, no problem.

Then...
1. I connected the camera
2. fired up IC Capture
3. the select device window came up with DMK21AF04.AS recognized,
click OK
4. new live window came up....

.....about 10 seconds later a warning prompt came up stating:

"The device DMK21AF04.AS (13026D0ED2) is in live mode, but does not
seem to deliver images. Pleas try to chose a different video format
or try reconnecting your device to the computer."

Needless to say I have tried reconnecting, restarting IC Capture,
rebooting the computer, and, reinstalling the software and driver.

A couple times the live window showed horizontal lines, flipping
vertically like an old television set. And I had the impression I
was seeing dust donuts so something may have been coming through.
But it only did that 2 or 3 times, and I cannot account for why it
did so as I did nothing different....

So, the camera appears to be a no go. Any suggestions on getting
this thing up and running would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Livermore CA

oldfrankland
October 20, 2007, 16:33:03
Well, I installed 'Firewire Management' and I am now getting a live feed, but despite exposure adjustment; shutter speed and fps, I'm still getting broken up images.

http://www.lafterhall.com/DMKcamera_test_003.jpg

http://www.lafterhall.com/DMKcamera_test_002.jpg

Now I'm wondering if there is a camera power issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim Ferreira
Livermore CA

Rainer
October 21, 2007, 00:27:11
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jim Ferreira
Livermore CA

Hi Jim,

Yes :( Send the camera back to where you bought it and they should send you a new one. That camera is damaged.

oldfrankland
October 21, 2007, 05:01:27
Thanks, Rainer. I believe I will take your advice and send it back.

Jim

Stefan Geissler
October 22, 2007, 08:35:20
Hi Jim,

Please let me know, what kind of computer you use. If the FireWirePerformanceManager changes something, then there seems to be a problem in the computer, not in the camera. But this is to be checked.

oldfrankland
October 22, 2007, 22:21:14
Hi Jim,

Please let me know, what kind of computer you use. If the FireWirePerformanceManager changes something, then there seems to be a problem in the computer, not in the camera. But this is to be checked.

Hmmmmm....it's a pretty generic, mid price range desktop PC running XP. I've been using it for two years for imaging with my CCD and web cams. It's not connected to the web, and when I was trying to run the DMK 21AF04.AS, nothing else was connected to the firewire or USB ports. Only IC Capture was running. I don't recall any ******board specifics, but can look if that's important. Like I said its only 2 years old.

Thanks,
Jim

Stefan Geissler
October 23, 2007, 15:23:28
Jim,

Thank you for your answer. But I am not able to query the specifications of your computer "mid price range desktop PC running XP", thus I can not decide it is a computer or a camera problem. Ususaly there is a manufacturer and a model name. I understand if you have assemble your computer on your own.

Also I suppose the FireWire Performance Manager has no influence, because it does something in the power management of modern CPUs. It seems your computer has none of these CPUs. This points to a problem with a camera. Is it possible to cross check the camera on another computer with a different cable and then, if the camera is defective exchanging it?

oldfrankland
October 23, 2007, 16:47:51
Jim,

Thank you for your answer. But I am not able to query the specifications of your computer "mid price range desktop PC running XP", thus I can not decide it is a computer or a camera problem. Ususaly there is a manufacturer and a model name. I understand if you have assemble your computer on your own.

Also I suppose the FireWire Performance Manager has no influence, because it does something in the power management of modern CPUs. It seems your computer has none of these CPUs. This points to a problem with a camera. Is it possible to cross check the camera on another computer with a different cable and then, if the camera is defective exchanging it?

Sorry for the scimpy info on the computer. I put it together with various plug-in components....I'm not a computer wizard.....it is a Pentium III system, though, 1.2ghz, I believe.

I contacted John Cordiale over at Adirondack Astronomy and he's going to check out the camera, and replace it if it is defective. I don't really have access to another computer that I am at liberty to install the firewire board. If its not defective, guess I'll need to upgrade my computer...... I don't really have access to another computer that I am at liberty to install the firewire board.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll have a camera up and running soon.

Jim
Livermore CA

Stefan Geissler
October 24, 2007, 08:06:15
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your reply. In my personal experience self assembled computers have less problems then models of some big companies. Thus you did the right thing and sent the camera back.

Gismogismo
October 24, 2007, 12:24:24
Installed the camera driver and software, no problem.

Then...
1. I connected the camera Sony DFW-SX900
2. fired up IC Capture
3. the select device window came up with DFW-SX900 (...) recognized,
click OK
4. new live window came up....

.....about 10 seconds later a warning prompt came up stating:

"The device (Sony DFW-SX900 ...) in live mode, but does not
seem to deliver images. Pleas try to chose a different video format
or try reconnecting your device to the computer."

The camera is o.k. as it is working with an other programm. Just now I am not working with an external trigger.

Can you help me?

Thanks
Gismogismo

(with another DFW-SX900 the same problem!)