PDA

View Full Version : Image Flicker

GaryW
September 1, 2007, 19:44:44
I am using the DBK21AF04.AS with IC Capture for planetary imaging, Y800, unspecified. During both monitering and capture of a video file the image occasionally flickers resulting in frames that are composed of portions of two frames. This occurs with all frame rates and other settings. When Registax4 encounters one of these frames during initial alignment it stops. I have to go thru the entire file and manually deselect the bad frames in order to process the file. Is this a software or hardware problem? Any ideas?

GaryW

Rainer
September 1, 2007, 20:47:26
Hi Gary,

I think it is a hardware problem. Have you installed the Firewire manager offered by TIS ?

http://www.imagingcontrol.com/assets/tools-dl/fpmsetup.exe

GaryW
September 2, 2007, 16:05:46
Thanks for the suggestion Rainer. I'll look into it.

Gary

Rainer
September 4, 2007, 22:48:48
I am using the DBK21AF04.AS with IC Capture for planetary imaging, Y800, unspecified. During both monitering and capture of a video file the image occasionally flickers resulting in frames that are composed of portions of two frames. This occurs with all frame rates and other settings. When Registax4 encounters one of these frames during initial alignment it stops. I have to go thru the entire file and manually deselect the bad frames in order to process the file. Is this a software or hardware problem? Any ideas?

GaryW

Hi Gary,

Guess what ? I just got a DBK 41AF02.AS and it makes the same thing. Look here at this screenshot

http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/SN49600133-01.jpg

This is a replacement camera for another DBK 41 AF02.AS which I had to send back due to a chip problem. Now my first DBK 41... had firmware 3028 and this one e.g. the replacement, has firmware 3033.

I just did send an e-mail to TIS in USA.

Seems to be some firmware problem.

I also have a DFK 41AS 02.AS which works so far, knock on Wood, problemfree and that one has firmware 3028

GaryW
September 5, 2007, 04:00:09
Rainer........

That is the problem I was having and Fireware manager fixed it. Thanks very much. Where do I find the firmware version of my camera?

Gary

Stefan Geissler
September 5, 2007, 11:32:36
Hi Gary,

The firmware version can not directly be read out by standard software. If you would give me the serial number of the camera, I could have a look in my camera database and check the firmware version.

The firmware has no influence on the flickering images. The flickering images are produced by the computer. The data transfer from the FireWire board into the computer's memory is interrupted. Since the FireWire board has no own memory, the data block, that should have been transfered is overwritten by the next data block provided by the camera.
This behavior seems to be a Windows XP problem. Using Windows 2000 or Linux on the same hardware would not have this problem in our experience. For Windows Vista we no experience yet.

GaryW
September 7, 2007, 03:37:44
Thanks for the help. I understand the problem now. Sorry I started an unnessary thread but I did not come across the solution on your website or after reviewing most of the posts on the Yahoo group site. Maybe you should mention the potential problem with info supplied with the camera and software.

FYI, my camera S/N: 12700132.

Other than this, the camera has really been easy to use. Seems that the RB choice on Registax debayer gives me the correct color rather than GB. Looking forward to Mars and hoping the weather improves here in the SE USA.

Gary

CovingtonJohn
September 14, 2007, 03:37:34
Hi Gary,

The firmware version can not directly be read out by standard software. If you would give me the serial number of the camera, I could have a look in my camera database and check the firmware version.

The firmware has no influence on the flickering images. The flickering images are produced by the computer. The data transfer from the FireWire board into the computer's memory is interrupted. Since the FireWire board has no own memory, the data block, that should have been transfered is overwritten by the next data block provided by the camera.
This behavior seems to be a Windows XP problem. Using Windows 2000 or Linux on the same hardware would not have this problem in our experience. For Windows Vista we no experience yet.
I am thinking of purchasing a camera of the same type. The laptop I would be using runs Windows XP. If the image flicker problem is inheirent with Windows XP and can not be eliminated I will have to pass on this type camera. Is there a solution?

Stefan Geissler
September 14, 2007, 09:15:46
Hi John,

The problem is the CPU and Windows XP. If you use an Intel T2400 or higher CPU, then you should also install the FireWirePerformanceManager (for free) from following link:
http://www.imagingcontrol.com/downloads/tools/

In most cases (99%) it solves the problem.

CovingtonJohn
September 14, 2007, 16:19:17
Thank you for your quick response. My laptop has an Intel Celeron 2.60GHz processor. I am really leaning toward an Imaging Source camera. In the event I do purchase one I will also install the firewire manager you recomended.

Stefan Geissler
September 14, 2007, 16:22:23
Please check, whether it you will receive fine images without the FireWire Performance Manager before you install it.