PDA

View Full Version : Registax 4 Will Not Open my AVI Files

mickh
June 26, 2007, 21:29:22
Just tried my new DFK 21AF04.AS last night and took several .avi sequences of lunar features as test files. These were using BY8 format at 60 fps. When I try to load any of them into Registax 4 I get the error message (from Registax):

"Failed to start AVI decompression"

Yet the FAQ section of the IS astro camera web site contains the following:

"Do The Imaging Source astro cameras work with RegiStax?

Yes. RegiStax can read the AVI files created with the camera control software IC Capture.AS."

What am I doing wrong?

Mick Hollimon
26 June 07
1:37 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
June 27, 2007, 08:29:39
Hello Mick,

The most interesting part is: what codec did you use for AVI capture? Registax 4 can load uncompressed Y800 AVI files. But Y800 is a monochrome video format. BY8 is colored. Thus I would like to know, which codec you have used.

mickh
June 27, 2007, 19:06:04
Stefan - thanks for the quick response.

I used the "default" codec (the one IC Capture "wakes up" with on my computer): DV Video Encoder.

I observe that there are 14 codec choices including "Unspecified". Which one should I be using?

Related question: what combination of format (BY8, UYVU, Y800, etc.) and codec will produce color frames at 60 fps from my DFK 21AF04.AS color camera? I don't want to use a color filter wheel and multiple exposures to obtain color at this time. I wish to process AVI sequences in Registax 4.

Thanks for your help.

Mick Hollimon
27 June 07
11:14 AM PDT USA

Rainer
June 28, 2007, 01:23:20
Hi Mick,

How big are your AVI's ?

In IC Capture you use Y800, codec unspecified and disable color then you can stream at 60 frames per second. Also using the codec BY8 and codec unspecified you can stream at 60 fps.

Later in Registax you use the debayer function, choose GB and you will get a color image processing.

Using that also makes your AVI files much smaller.

mickh
June 28, 2007, 02:12:38
Rainer - my AVI files are between 35 and 89 megabytes

Mick Hollimon
27 June 07
6:21 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
June 28, 2007, 08:42:18
Hi Mick,

As Rainer suggested: Use uncompressed Y800 or unspecified Y800 as codec.

Rainer
June 28, 2007, 18:21:34
Rainer - my AVI files are between 35 and 89 megabytes

Mick Hollimon
27 June 07
6:21 PM PDT USA

Hi Mick,

Is it working now ?

Please remember that Registax v4.0 can not open more then 9999 frames in a single AVI and the limit I have encountered is 1GB and not as some say 2GB. Just as an additional info.

If you want you can send me one of your AVI and I could try to open it in Registaxv4.0 to see if it opens or not.

saludos Rainer

mickh
June 29, 2007, 02:15:30
Stefan/Rainer - thanks much for the advice/instructions and offers of help.

Stefan - I am a little fuzzy on the following instruction:

"As Rainer suggested: Use uncompressed Y800 or unspecified Y800 as codec."

Does the first reference to Y800 refer to a video format, and the second to a codec and its settings, or due both refer to codec-and-settings. The codec drop-down offers me either "Unspecified" or "Y800" but not "Unspecified Y800"

Thanks again for your help.

Rainer - I will try to send you a video from my test file set. These are all of the above mentioned size (35-89 MBytes) and are around either 300 or 600 frames in length (very approximate). Thanks for the offer of help.

Mick Hollimon
28 June 07
6:24 PM PDT USA

mickh
June 29, 2007, 06:15:13
Rainer - sorry, I forgot to answer your question about it working: I have not had a chance to try it again since all the above good advice was made available; will try it ASAP.

I have copies of my largest and smallest video files (that won't open) if you care to try them in your Registax. How should I send them to you?

Thanks.

Mick Hollimon
28 June 07
10:24 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
June 29, 2007, 07:58:22
Hello Mick,

IC Capture offers the "uncompressed" and the "unspecified" (and also "codec") in the "Recording settings" dialog. The difference between uncompressed" and "unspecified" is an entry in the header of the AVI file. I suggest to use "uncompressed" and select "Y800" in the combo box beneath the "uncompressed" radio button.

Please excuse me creating confusion.

mickh
June 29, 2007, 18:14:46
Stefan - thanks much for the insight and advice; I will try these suggestions ASAP.

No excuse is necessary, we just appreciate your help. Some of us are not very familiar with the details of video formats and codec functionality; that's why we need the assistance.

Thanks again.

Mick Hollimon
29 June 07
10:23 AM PDT USA

mickh
July 4, 2007, 06:06:30
In a post 6 days ago Rainer (user in Mexico) states:

"In IC Capture you use Y800, codec unspecified and disable color then you can stream at 60 frames per second."

How does one "disable color" in IC Capture? I can display the Color & Backlighting Bar which has an "Enable Color" button but it is always (so far) grayed out and has no reaction to the mouse buttons; also, the associated slider will not move and does nothing.

Is Enable/Disable Color associated with the "Enable Debayering" button? Is it possible that disabling debayering is what was mean in the quote?

Help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mick Hollimon
3 July 07
9:15 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
July 4, 2007, 16:21:13
Hi Mick,

You should use the "Y800" video format of teh camera. You will see a "monochrome" raw image. This can be saved in an AVI file as "uncompressed Y800". Then you can import the AVI file in Registax and let Registax calculate the colors.

mickh
July 4, 2007, 19:14:58
Stefan - thanks for the reply:

"You should use the "Y800" video format of teh camera. You will see a "monochrome" raw image. This can be saved in an AVI file as "uncompressed Y800". Then you can import the AVI file in Registax and let Registax calculate the colors."

I understand the first part about how to set up IC Capture. Do you know how to set up Registax to "calculate the colors"?

Thanks much.

Mick Hollimon
4 July 07
11:24 AM PDT USA

Rainer
July 5, 2007, 01:32:33
Stefan - thanks for the reply:

"You should use the "Y800" video format of teh camera. You will see a "monochrome" raw image. This can be saved in an AVI file as "uncompressed Y800". Then you can import the AVI file in Registax and let Registax calculate the colors."

I understand the first part about how to set up IC Capture. Do you know how to set up Registax to "calculate the colors"?

Thanks much.

Mick Hollimon
4 July 07
11:24 AM PDT USA

Hi Mick,

Look here http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/BW-AVI-01.jpg

and here http://www.rainerehlert.com/DMK/BW-AVI-02.jpg

That is it :D

mickh
July 5, 2007, 03:09:34
Rainer - thanks much for the software setup info. I will put it to good use.

A few days ago there was an offer from you to try using one of my non-opening AVI files in your Registax. I would still like to send you one or two. How should I send them to you?

Mick Hollimon
4 July 07
7:18 PM PDT USA

Rainer
July 5, 2007, 17:38:07
Rainer - thanks much for the software setup info. I will put it to good use.

A few days ago there was an offer from you to try using one of my non-opening AVI files in your Registax. I would still like to send you one or two. How should I send them to you?

Mick Hollimon
4 July 07
7:18 PM PDT USA

Hi Mick,

I would say please join the Yahoo group

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMKCCD-cameras/

and there you see my e-mail adress and send me a short e-mail so I can give you the adress of an mailbox big enough to accomodate your e-mails.

mickh
July 11, 2007, 02:23:42
Rainer/Stefan - thanks for the inputs on how to set up IC Capture and Registax 4 for obtaining color images from AVI videos. Unfortunately, I am not having much luck with it.

I have obtained some 20 AVI files containing between approx. 300 frames and about 650 frames. These were taken using the Y800 AVI format and the "uncompressed" Y800 codec; the "Enable debayering" button on IC capture was left un-activated (icons to the right of the button on the control bar were grayed out). These files are between about 90 Mb and 240 Mb in length.

Several have been opened in Registax 4, and processed with the debayering function activated and all four choices, including GB, tried. In all cases there does not seem to be any color in the resulting images. An AVI taken in summer 06 with a Philips ToUCam Pro 840 K and processed in Registax 4 produces a fine color image.

Two questions:

1. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Is there another setting in either IC Capture or Registax 4 that I should be dealing with?

2. If I choose to use the BY8 format, what is the effect of the resulting "compression" on the final images in Registax? Is there any way to use BY8 without "compression"?

Thanks for any help on these problems.

Mick Hollimon
10 July 07
6:32 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
July 11, 2007, 12:26:57
Mick,

I have created a small PDF for you, that illustrates, with pictures, how to capture RAW image AVI, import it into Registax 4 and let Registax 4 calculate the colors. You can download it from following ftp link:

ftp://tis_ftp:Imaging199@ftp.theimagingsource.com/Imaging/101abc/astronomycapture.pdf

I hope, this file is helpful for you.

mickh
July 12, 2007, 02:11:12
Stefan - thanks much for the clear instruction file for Registax 4; I indeed found it helpful. I suggest that it is a generally useful document and that you might make it available for all TIS astrocamera users; also do a little advertising that it is there for users to access.

Good job; thanks a lot.

Rainer - I will join the DMKCCD-cameras Yahoo user group in the next day or so and will contact you about my balky files. Thanks again.

Mick Hollimon
11 July 07
6:20 PM PDT USA

Stefan Geissler
July 12, 2007, 08:12:10
Mick,

Thank you for your approval :-)

I will ask my colleague ProfJohn to publish it on the astronomy pages in an easy to find location.

wa2guf
November 1, 2007, 18:53:24
[QUOTE=Stefan Geissler;21701]Mick,

I have created a small PDF for you, that illustrates, with pictures, how to capture RAW image AVI, import it into Registax 4 and let Registax 4 calculate the colors. You can download it from following ftp link:

This was a very helpful file. Thanks.
I am getting a sinking feeling, however, that I have a big problem unrelated to most of the questions and answers on this subject. My telescope is a Schupmann Medial refractor that I just finished building. This instrument has superb optical qualities for planetary astronomy. One of the critical adjustments on a Schupmann is to use a couple of micrometer screws to tweak the tilt of a field mirror which precisely aligns the image of the objective (a crown glass simple positive lens) onto the Mangin mirror corrector (a crown glass simple negative lens with aluminizing on the back). This enables the precise elimination of chromatic aberration which makes the Schupmann the only perfect refractor (better than an apochromat). I need to make this final adjustment of the field mirror just before imaging because you can even tune out the tiny chromatic aberration caused by the earth's atmospheric differential refraction. This means I need to see a color image on my monitor to make the adjustment (otherwise I have to fuss with switching camera with eyepiece just before taking each image).
Is there a mode for the camera control software which displays a color image on the monitor, and then lets me record a video file which Registax can process? Do I swap codecs just before recording a video? I am still unable to enable color so I see a color image on the screen.
Clif

wa2guf
November 4, 2007, 16:19:57
I have found that following Stefan's advice in:
ftp://tis_ftp:Imaging199@ftp.theimag...omycapture.pdf
and simply toggling the Bayer enabling button does the job for me. I am using Y800 as Stefan recommended. With Bayer enabled, I make my focus and color fine tuning adjustments on the Schupmann medial, then I disable Bayer and take the video.
Registax4 works fine on the saved raw uncompressed video, again following Stefan's recommendations in the above pdf file

Stefan Geissler
November 5, 2007, 11:54:02
Hi,

I just wanted to correct the link listed above:
ftp://tis_ftp:Imaging199@ftp.theimagingsource.com/Imaging/101abc/astronomycapture.pdf