PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 3.0.4 / Vista

MikeG
June 18, 2007, 19:43:09
I have been using IC Imaging Control, version 3.0, successfully on Windows XP. However, I've now moved to Windows Vista, and I have the following problem:

I can view video just fine, but when I stop it with LiveStop, the application fails with a message from Windows: <app> has stopped working.

It doesn't matter whether I'm running in the VB6 IDE or as a compiled application, and in fact the sample programs that are installed with the control do the same thing when you either stop video or capture video.

Can you give me some help with this?

Thanks,

MikeG

Stefan Geissler
June 19, 2007, 09:19:02
Hello Mike,

I just tested a very simple Visual Basic 6 program with Windows Vista 32 bit:

Private Sub Command1_Click()
ICImagingControl1.LiveStart
End Sub

Private Sub Command2_Click()
ICImagingControl1.LiveStart
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
ICImagingControl1.Device = ICImagingControl1.Devices.Item(1).Name
End Sub

I tried several times the LiveStart and LiveStopt clicks without any problems or hangs. I used a DFK 31AF03 with the driver version 4.0.0.68.
Is it possible, that you call LiveStop from the ImageAvailable event? (Please do not so!). Or do you have a running image processing, while you call LiveStop? You may test the simple sample and check, whether the error occurs with this sample too.

MikeG
June 19, 2007, 14:37:30
Stefan,

The test program didn't work either. I'm using a JVC Everio GZ-MG555, which, by the way, I had never previously used. It's a Firewire connection.

I notice that you mention a driver. Is that necessary?

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 19, 2007, 15:08:15
Hi Mike,

if the JVC thing is a camcorder, then automatically a Microsoft driver is used for this device. This is necessary, otherwise you wont be able to communicate with your camcorder.

I checked the sample with one of our own cameras, because I have no camcorder here. Thus I let you know the used driver version.

I would like you to check out the same with the precompiled demo applications of IC Imaging Control. They have been built with C++ instead of Visual Basic. May be the error does not occur with them? If so, then we have a Visual Basic 6 -> Vista problem.

MikeG
June 20, 2007, 03:09:45
Stefan,

Here is some more information:

1. The JVC is indeed a camcorder.

2. The precompiled demos fail in the same way, although I can't tell for sure if they fail on LiveStop. They do fail when you stop the video or attempt to record.

3. I can play and record in the same configuration (JVC, Firewire) using Windows Movie Maker.

4. If I run an AV cable from the JVC camcorder to a Canopus ADVC-100 convertor, and then connect it to the PC with Firewire, I get the same result, i.e., it works with Windows Movie Maker but not with IC Imaging 3.0.4.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 21, 2007, 15:15:00
Hi Mike,

We did a test on Windows Vista with a Canopus device and the Windows Vista standard driver. We encountered exactly the same problem you reported. Tomorrow we will release a service pack on http://www.imagingcontrol.com in the Download section. This should fix your problem.

MikeG
June 21, 2007, 16:35:34
Stefan,

Thanks. I'll be looking for it.

Mike

MikeG
June 22, 2007, 15:55:46
Stefan,

I tried installing the service pack, but I didn't get any different results. It looked like there were two new files in the "bin" folder dated 6/21, TIS_UDSHL07_vc6.dll and TIS_DShowLib07_vc71.dll, but only the second of these was also in the "Program Files\Common Files\IC Imaging Control 3" folder. I tried copying the first file there also, but it didn't help.

Do you have any ideas?

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 25, 2007, 14:22:28
Mike,

That is annoying. At least only the "TIS_DShowLib07_vc71.dll" is important in your case. This DLL should also reside in the "common files\IC Imaging Control 3" directory.

On our test computer with Windows Vista this service pack ran fine. I will do the tests again.

MikeG
June 27, 2007, 07:22:42
Stefan,

I tried replacing the JVC camcorder with a SONY camcorder, both connected with Firewire.

And this time it worked!

So I'm not sure where the problem is. I had formerly used the Sony camcorder with Windows XP and ICimaging 3.0, and had no problems. And now it works with Vista.

So I suspect that the problem is with the JVC camcorder. Either it does not conform to the 1394 standard, or it does it in a way which your software doesn't anticipate. Since the software crashes, I think you ought to investigate further. For now, I think that I can get along, since I'm only using the camcorder for testing. But I would like to see some resolution of this, since the JVC does work with Microsoft Movie Maker.

Regards,

Mike

Stefan Geissler
June 27, 2007, 08:27:16
Hi Mike,

This is interesting, because I supposed, both camcorders use the same Microsoft driver. Unfortunately we do not have so much camcorders in our office, but I will see, what I can do.

MikeG
July 10, 2007, 00:06:05
Stefan,

I've been wondering if you have looked further into this problem, since I have to make some decision about what to do. I haven't been successful using a VCR/Canopus either.

Regards,

Mike

Stefan Geissler
July 10, 2007, 08:04:28
Hi Mike,

We have looked further into this problem, but we found no more problems using the Canopus ADVC-100 in Windows Vista 32 with IC Imaging Control 3.0.4 + Service Pack 1.

But we have a look again.

Stefan Geissler
July 10, 2007, 08:48:47
Mike,

I have just tested the Canopus ADVC in Windows Vista 32 bit again. Without IC Imaging Control Service Pack, I receive the error message a stop live. After installing the Service Pack, I get no error.
The file "TIS_DShowLib07_vc71.dll" must have version 3.0.110.603. It is from 21st June 2007.
This file resides in the directories:
c:\program files\common files\IC Imaging Control 3
c:\program files\The Imaging Source Europe GmbH\IC Imaging Control 3.0\bin\
c:\program files\The Imaging Source Europe GmbH\IC Imaging Control 3.0\classlib\release
c:\program files\The Imaging Source Europe GmbH\IC Imaging Control 3.0\classlib\debug (here with a "d" at the end).

If the file version is not correct, then you must receive the error.

If you install the Service Pack, then these directories are used anyway, even if they not exist on your computer. In this case they are created by the setup.

MikeG
July 13, 2007, 05:36:34
Hi, Stefan,

I checked all the files you listed and they were all exactly as you indicated. Also, there were no other versions of the file anywhere on my computer. Is it possible that there is some other file that is supposed to be present? I don't know what else to suggest.

Mike

Stefan Geissler
July 13, 2007, 08:10:40
Hi Mike,

Thank you for all of your work. There is no other file to be present. I will do another test on a new Windows Vista 32 bit computer, that was recently bought. I have only the Canopus ADVC100 for testing, no camcorders. Sorry for that.

Stefan Geissler
July 13, 2007, 12:08:01
Mike,

We tested again the Canopus ADVC with IC Imaging Control demoapp on an new Windows Vista 32bit PC: No problems with the service pack.

DMDoc
July 26, 2007, 21:18:39
MikeG/Stefan, have you had any issue with the video image itself being slower. I've noticed this on our Vista system with IC3.0. I don't know of any tricks to speed it up. What's weird is the smaller the control gets, the faster or closer to real time the image appears. IC has a demo app (scroll and zoom.exe) and it is clear when changing the zooming that the larger the zooming, the slower the image feed. 300% (with 720x480 chosen) takes more than 15 seconds to update the live image. Your thoughts

Stefan Geissler
July 27, 2007, 09:28:06
Hi DMDoc,

I checked this issue again on a Windows Vista 32 bit with a GForce2 graphics board.
First off all, I never got a lag longer than 2 seconds, even if the video has been magnified to 300% and higher.

I used two devices:
AV/C Tape Recorder/Player
DFK 21BF04

Using the DFK 21BF04 the lag was much shorter than using the AV/C Tape Recorder/Player. The difference between both devices in DirectShow is that no DV Decoder filter is in use for the DFK 21BF04. The DV Decoder filter seems to need a lot of time for decoding.

I used the AV/C Tape Recorder/Player in AMCAP and this worked fine and fast. But the DirectShow filter graph in AMCAP is smaller than the IC Imaging Control filter graph.

If the overlay bitmap was displayed in the display path, I got a bigger lag and a slower frame rate. This points to a problem with the Overlaybitmap and how it is handled in Windows Vista.

Thus I suggest to disable the Overlaybitmap at all by calling

ICImagingControl1.OverlayBitmapPosition = PATHPOSITION_NONE

(This is the ActiveX forum, thus I show the Visual Basic 6 code.)

Changing the color depth of the desktop had not really effects to the lag.
The used computer was an old AMD 1600+ with app. 400 MBytes RAM and a GForce 2 graphics board.