PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Cameras DFK 21F04

Steven
May 31, 2007, 22:10:34
Hi all,

I am a new bie with imaging stuff. I have four DFK 21F04 cameras and two computers each having 2 firewire ports. I am unable to access more than one camera on one computer at a time. Also I tried to daisy chain two cameras but the application hangs. Could anybody please tell me how can I daisy chain two cameras and access them and what actually daisy chain does? Any other way to access multiple camears (within an application) with daisy chain or otherwise?

Thanks,
Steven

Stefan Geissler
June 4, 2007, 11:25:21
Hi Steven,

First of all I would check with IC Capture, whether you can both cameras get to work. Please keep in mind, that Windows needs to have the camera's driver installed for both cameras explicitly.

If you can open both cameras in IC Capture, then have a look on the used video format and frame rate. Using UYVY 640*480 at 15 fps allows to run to cameras on one FireWire bus.

Then you should have a look on your program: I suppose you have two Grabber objects. Make sure, that you do not open in both objects the same camera! You can use the camera's serial number to check which camera is in use in each grabber object:
http://www.imagingcontrol.com/support/documentation/class/meth_descVideoCaptureDeviceItem_getSerialNumber.ht m

obscuraniklas
September 19, 2007, 01:16:52
Hi,

Is it possible to archive hight framerates if i use a separate PCI-X Firewire card for each camera?

thanks,

niklas

Stefan Geissler
September 19, 2007, 12:03:09
Niklas,

Yes. If you use separate FireWire board for the cameras, then you will not encounter the bandwidth problems on the FireWire bus.

obscuraniklas
September 19, 2007, 23:30:46
I Bought another Firewire card today and it works great.

thanks.