PDA

View Full Version : VideoFormat questions

MikeG
March 10, 2007, 00:59:58
I'm using a SONY DCR-HC20 Super SteadyShot video camera with IC Imaging Control, and I also have a filter in the device path. When I call the VideoFormats method, it returns a large number of items. One of these is "RGB8 (720x480)". But when I set imagingcontrol.VideoFormat = "RGB8 (720x480)", and then display imagingcontrol.VideoFormat, it returns "YUY2 (720x480)"

If I program my filter to accept all formats, it receives data in the YUY2 format (I think), but the value returned by FrameTypeInfo::getColorFormat is 0,which presumably is eInvalidColorFormat.

But if I specify only RGB8 as a supported format, it receives data in RGB8.

Can you explain what's going on here?

Thanks,

Mike

Sascha Schmidt
March 13, 2007, 12:15:58
Hallo,

I have tested it with GraphEdit and it seems that it is a problem of the 'Microsoft DV Camera and VCR Driver'.
The driver does only supports YUY2, though it shows all formats.

Best Regards
Sascha Schmidt

MikeG
March 13, 2007, 16:23:12
Does this mean that the camera sends images in YUY2, or that the driver converts to YUY2?

Stefan Geissler
March 13, 2007, 17:38:57
Hi,

Does this mean that the camera sends images in YUY2, or that the driver converts to YUY2?

No, this only means, that the 'Microsoft DV Camera and VCR Driver' provides YUV2 video format only. We tested it with different hardware and got the same resuls as you describe. It seems, that many video formats are listed, but only the YUV2 formats are working.