PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Color vs Bayer Cameras

Maadscientist
March 9, 2007, 21:08:52
Hello,

I purchased a DFK31AF03.AS. I am thinking now that I really needed the DBK model because it does not have the IR filter. I have an IR and others that I can use on the nosecone. However, the way you have the cameras classified, it has confused me. The camera I bought is a Color camera. The camera I might need is a Bayer camera. I was under the impression that all single ccd color cameras use a chip with a bayer array, and since the same chip is used on both cameras, shoud not the classification be Bayer color camera with and Bayer color camera without the IR filter? If there is a difference, can you please explain?

Dan Llewellyn
Telescope Atlanta

Rainer
April 16, 2007, 16:20:18
Hello,

I purchased a DFK31AF03.AS. I am thinking now that I really needed the DBK model because it does not have the IR filter. I have an IR and others that I can use on the nosecone. However, the way you have the cameras classified, it has confused me. The camera I bought is a Color camera. The camera I might need is a Bayer camera. I was under the impression that all single ccd color cameras use a chip with a bayer array, and since the same chip is used on both cameras, shoud not the classification be Bayer color camera with and Bayer color camera without the IR filter? If there is a difference, can you please explain?

Dan Llewellyn
Telescope Atlanta

Hi Dan,

I do not know what you have done so far but you could just take off the UV/IR filter by unscrewing the C-Mount ring and break off the filter. In order to be able to unscrew the C-Mount ring just loosen the 2 tiny setscrews located in the front cover of the camera. It is a very small flat screwdriver (like the ones used by watchmakers)you need in order to loosen this screws. I hope TIS did not use locktite or something in order to fix those screws permanently.

Maybe the other solution is to exchange the camera for a DBK

The nomenclature of the cameras I assume comes from the German language

DMK ...M... Monochromatik
DFK ...F... Farbe (with UV/IR filter)
DBK ...B... Bayer (no UV/IR filter)

Just a guess :)

Stefan Geissler
April 18, 2007, 09:41:27
Hi

Rainer, you are correct, for some historical reason the nomenclatura for "F" is german.