PDA

View Full Version : ICcapture

marsel60
March 7, 2007, 19:59:40
Hello to everybody,
I don't know if we can start a thread here that speak ONLY about ICcapture. I'm speaking of problems and/or suggestions on it. Please let us know. :confused:
Thanks for the answer and sorry if I'm wrong.
Ciao from rainy Italy. :(

Stefan Geissler
March 8, 2007, 09:11:38
Marsel,

Please start the thread here. You are welcome.

Ciao from rainy Germany to Italy.

marsel60
March 8, 2007, 10:50:44
Thanks Stefan,
well, since I had/have no problems on ICcapture I'd like to know from users how they consider it and eventually what they propose to add or modify for astronomy purposes. For example, in my opinion should be added the possibility to view (on/off) a graphical overlay that will permit me to put the subject at frame center. This option should be interesting also for microscope, industrial and other usage so, why do not add it? What other user consider this suggestion/implementation? Stefan, I hope that this kind of suggestions will be interpreted in positive way from TIS. Let me know if this is out of forum subject.
Thanks and have a great day to everybody.

Stefan Geissler
March 8, 2007, 11:05:48
Hi Marsel,

I agree with you, this would be a nice feature.

Rainer
March 8, 2007, 18:59:30
Hi Marsel,

I agree with you, this would be a nice feature.

Hi,

Yes I am missing that crosshair too and if you are going to maybe work on it make it adjustable either as circles ( different quantity of circles) or grid and also make it adjustable in size of the circles or grid by using a slider or some other tool and define it in pixels.

marsel60
March 9, 2007, 11:35:19
Rainer, glad to ear other opinions on ICcapture improvement. Would be nice to ear other opinions from our friends too. Anyway, since you agree with me about overlay "necessity", do you have other suggestions on how to improve ICcapture usability? In this way our TIS friends can prepare a list of "nice to have options". ;)
Have a great weekend with clear skies.

Rainer
March 9, 2007, 17:11:18
Rainer, glad to ear other opinions on ICcapture improvement. Would be nice to ear other opinions from our friends too. Anyway, since you agree with me about overlay "necessity", do you have other suggestions on how to improve ICcapture usability? In this way our TIS friends can prepare a list of "nice to have options". ;)
Have a great weekend with clear skies.

Well, after reading your post it would be nice to have a separate log file in which all the adjustments of a streamed video or image is written into.

What still confuses me is the slider which adjusts Gain + Contrast which is very uncommon for me as Gain is something else then Contrast, but OK TIS has decided that it is a common adjustment in their cameras.

A good example of a very complete software package for capturing image streams is LuCam Recorder software which works with Lumenera cameras.

bdeclerc
March 9, 2007, 20:20:16
I also have a few questions concerning ICCapture:

1) Would it be possible to add greyscale/colour PNG to the list of sequence formats? PNG is a non-lossy format, so is better than jpeg if you want non-lossy, and since the only provided alternative is BMP - well, I don't really consider BMP a useful format for anything...
(And if you say : well, why not use a high quality JPEG? --> Hot pixels will be smeared out by jpeg even at 99% quality, and at 100% quality, jpeg doesn't compress as well as PNG)

2) I'm not sure if it's a bug or something, because I don't remember if I had this always, but I notice that in the live video, there seems to be some deformation happening, with everything being blurred 2-3 pixels horizontally (even the purple ROI square itself is blurred like that). The images being saved are fine, and if I do a "snapshot", that is fine also, and it looks as if, when I take a small region of interest, this is also displayed without blurring.

Bart

marsel60
March 11, 2007, 12:38:06
Rainer, yes I like your idea to have a short text log file for each picture/avi recorded. It should contain camera settings at shoot time (exposure, gain, fps, brightness and so on) and same filename.txt of related shoot/film. In this way we can, durning processing time, easily and autamatically remember shooting parameters in order to write them in the final image card. Great idea.
Yes Bart, I like also your suggestion for lossless PNG files.
Bye
-- Marco

Stefan Geissler
March 13, 2007, 16:45:38
Hi,

Contrast/Gain has been growed from ealier times. DCam does not support contrast, thus a big camera manufacturing company used the DirectShow property contrast to handle gain. Thus it is not contrast, but gain for DCam cameras.