PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform API?

Ian Jones
February 12, 2007, 16:52:02
Hi there, I'm terribly new to programming so these may seem very simple questions. I'm researching my options and trying to learn what I need to use to get my application to work with for eg, DFK 21AF04-Z. I'm pretty sure this is the camera I'll need, but I'm sure these questions apply to many of your products.

1) I'm developing cross-platform and I need drivers and an API which allows me to cross-compile (with modifications where neccessary) to Win32, OsX (MacIntel) and Linux. Does this 'IC Imaging Control C++ Class Library' offer me this?

2) Can you suggest a compatible driver for OsX? I know you provide Win32 drivers already. I've found this: http://www.ioexperts.com/products/industrial.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stefan Geissler
February 13, 2007, 08:15:03
Ian,

1) I'm developing cross-platform and I need drivers and an API which allows me to cross-compile (with modifications where neccessary) to Win32, OsX (MacIntel) and Linux. Does this 'IC Imaging Control C++ Class Library' offer me this?
I am afraid, IC Imaging Control is not cross plattform. It is bound to MS DirectX, which does not run on Linux or OS X.

2) Can you suggest a compatible driver for OsX? I know you provide Win32 drivers already. I've found this: http://www.ioexperts.com/products/industrial.html

I have no personal experiences with this driver, but it is only one, I have heared about.

I suggest to program the pure image processing "cross plattform". For this you would need a simple interface (function call), that would receive the image data as char*, the widht and height of the image as integer and the color format (RGB555, RGB565, RGB24, RGB32, what ever is needed). The image aquisition should be done for each plattform separately.

Ian Jones
February 13, 2007, 10:41:03
ok, so I would need to program image aquisition from a driver on each platform?

I assume that any platform specific driver would have an API for doing this...

Stefan Geissler
February 13, 2007, 13:31:44
Good question.
At least you would need to get a pointer to the image data from the cameras.

celstark
March 27, 2007, 03:28:11
I am in a similar situation and have opted to use two different APIs. I have had good luck with the libdc1394 library on OS X (it runs on Linux as well) and currently have seemingly stable code. I still have a few things to work out, but overall things are working very well. This is not available for the PC, so my code will have a few very large #ifdef's in there to deal with the two very different APIs.

Craig

Stefan Geissler
March 27, 2007, 08:23:46
Craig,

on Sourceforge is the "unicap" SDK for Linux available. It works fine with our video capture devices.

celstark
March 29, 2007, 16:45:32
Thanks - I'd seen that but after I'd already coded up for libdc1394 which seems to be running well enough. Thanks also for your earlier help Stefan. I've put a basic OS X capture application up for people to try out / help me debug on other gear. It's not "finished" by any means but it does let Mac users have a free way of streaming to files, adjusting controls, etc.

http://www.stark-labs.com/prerelease.html

My freeware "PHD Guiding" is running on OS X and will be released with support once the Windows is up and going too.

Craig