PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mode Camera

javier
November 7, 2006, 12:44:15
Is it possible to change the mode of the camera from the computer? Say, from mass storage to webcam mode, all from the computer without having to do anything manually on the media device?

Stefan Geissler
November 7, 2006, 13:55:50
Hello

Is it possible to change the mode of the camera from the computer? Say, from mass storage to webcam mode, all from the computer without having to do anything manually on the media device?

This depends on your camera and its driver. What do you mean with mass storage and web cam mode?

javier
November 7, 2006, 14:17:16
The camera will have the ability to work as a webcam, digital camera, or storage device (like a usb flash).

when it is not plugged to the computer it will work as a normal digital camera. but when it is plugged to the computer, it will work either as a webcam or as a storage device. if it works as a storage device i can save my documents in the cameras memory disk or get the pictures it has taken from there as well.

however, for changing from webcam to storage device mode, i need to turn on the camera and go to settings and so on manually on the device itself.

im looking for a standard way (would be great APIs) to change that mode of the imaging device from my computer.... any ideas?

Stefan Geissler
November 7, 2006, 14:48:30
Javier,

if this type of camera is connected to a computer, Windows XP opens it as external storage driver per default. I will receive an on drive letter like "F:" or "G:". You do not need special drivers to save or read data to this drive. You only need to check, whether it is available. At least we do not use this kind of cameras at The Imaging Source, I do it only at home for private purposes.

javier
November 7, 2006, 17:26:33
Stefan,

So could you help me out off record maybe? could I email you or something

Stefan Geissler
November 7, 2006, 17:29:33
Javier,

I must surrender I do not understand your problem completely. Please let me know, what camera you use. It sounds for me for a digital photo camera but not for a digital video camera.

javier
November 7, 2006, 21:10:07
The camera is a @i Slim Digital Camera... its a cheap chinese digital camera, but it has the functions some other cameras have. what i want to know, is not really a problem. i just want to be totally sure if there is a way to programatically change the camera mode... instead of having to reach physically the digital camera and on the camera settings, change the PC MODE from Mass Storage to Webcam.

i understand that the camera model and drivers can influence if whether i could make an app to change the camera mode, however, i have found no APIs or any documentation... not in msdn or anything else.

so is there a way to change the camera mode (from to mass storage to webcam or visa versa) through with a computer app?

Stefan Geissler
November 8, 2006, 10:21:48
Javier,

There are no different modes, because as soon as the camera is connected to the computer, Windows handles it as mass storage drive. It will also get an own drive letter. There is no mode to change. Thats it with my cheap digital camera.

javier
November 8, 2006, 10:31:21
well, my camera will work as a webcam or as a mass storage. if i select it to be a webcam windows will detect it as such and no drives letters will be assigned. if i select it as a mass storage, then it will be assigned a drive letter. thats the way my even cheaper digital camera works hehe

but thanks anyway!

Stefan Geissler
November 8, 2006, 11:10:17
Javier,

That is new to me. In this case I think I am not able to help you. Sorry for this.