PDA

View Full Version : Basler Industrial Camera

Unregistered
March 28, 2006, 03:36:44
Wondering if I can use this SDK to control the Basler camera?
The requirement for me is to record video at 100fps 640x480.

And the SDK they provide is not optimised for this task, even though the camera is strong enough.
Anyone has tried this Basler brand?

Also I can not download the evaluation version :(. Have been trying since yesterday :(

Thanks a lot

Steve_SSC
March 28, 2006, 03:45:39
^ My post :)
Register to be more serious :p

Johannes Vogel
March 28, 2006, 13:25:34
Hello,

Saving 640x480 @ 100 fps is a tough task for the hard disk. As far as I know, the Basler SDK does not cover streaming to a disk at all.
I am afraid, you have to check it out with the IC trial version.

What happens if you try to download the trial version?

Steve_SSC
March 29, 2006, 02:03:27
Hi,
Thx for replying.

I have used a 3rd party application called Fire-i from Unibrand. After some vigorous testing with the same computer, that application can push the recording speed up to 100fps. But Basler SDK can only reach 80+ fps.

Whenever I left click on the link, or right click to choose save as, I always get a blank zip file (0 Kb). :(

Johannes Vogel
March 29, 2006, 10:28:12
Hello,

Please send an email to support@imagingcontrol.com and ask the support department to send the Trial version via email.

Steve_SSC
March 29, 2006, 10:40:55
I just received an email from u this morning (singapore time), I did reply right after that. If possible please send me the Trial version via email on your next reply. Many thanks

Johannes Vogel
March 29, 2006, 16:39:58
Hello,

I am sorry, but we did not receive your request.
Please resent it.

Steve_SSC
March 30, 2006, 10:33:25
Hi,

I got the trial. thx for your reply.
I hv no idea why you said you cannot receive it, cuz i hv a reply from a Johannes Vogel in my inbox already.

Anyway, I have tried out both the trial program and the ActiveX component (also trial version). But I cannot increase the recording rate above 60 fps. The program (and the ActiveX component) just simply don't give me a choice :(.

Whenever I try to set it by:
ICControl1.DeviceFrameRate = 100

The program automatically reboot my system.

So could you so me how to increase the frame rate?
Thanks a lot

Stefan Geissler
March 30, 2006, 13:55:38
Hi Steve,

If IC Imaging Control lets you only select frame rates up to 60 fps, then this is the maximum frame rate, that is provided by the camera's WDM driver.
Even if a higher frame rate could be achieved, the maximum DCAM frame rate at 640x480 monochrome is 90 fps. Then the bandwidth of 1394A FireWire is at the limit. For a list of bandwidth allocation on the FireWire Bus with DCam cameras refer to:
http://www.1394imaging.com/de/resources/whitepapers/download/fwcamsbandwwp.de.pdf

If you use the special 1394 drivers (BCam) for your FireWire board, then may be 100 fps can be achieved. Did you ask the Basler support about this issue?

Steve_SSC
March 31, 2006, 02:40:17
Hi Stefan,

Yes, I did ask them, and they said that 640x480 over 100fps can be archived.

But when I used their SDK to develop a RecordToAVI program, the maximum framerate I got is only around 90+
Moreover, I have reached that kind of performance also in the same system, same camera using another third party program.

However, my supervisor prefer it to be an ActiveX component, rather than just a dll library for C++.
Therefore now I try to evaluate your package, seems like you got a lot of what we need.

I think it would be nice if we can record at 90 fps. I know for sure that the camera is capable of pulling out more than 60 fps. Is there anyway to override the maximum setting in the camera WDM driver?

Johannes Vogel
March 31, 2006, 09:01:59
Hello,

No, there os no way to overwrite property ranges in a driver.

Steve_SSC
March 31, 2006, 09:29:44
Erm, so is there anyway to use the Basler camera at 640x480 100fps?

Stefan Geissler
March 31, 2006, 09:48:51
Hi Steve,

Erm, so is there anyway to use the Basler camera at 640x480 100fps?

Sorry, but i do not think so. I never tested this camera on my own, so i can not be sure at all. But if the maximum frame rate provided is 60 fps, then IC Imaging Control can not set a higher value. (You have already tested this with a reboot as result.)
The last suggestion for your problem is to use tha Basler SDK, snap all imcoming images and save them with an own algorithm to an AVI file. May be the computer is fast enough for this task.