PDA

View Full Version : Stop motion capturing

videoFred
February 10, 2006, 09:25:30
I use a program called Cinecap.
It recognises my DFK fine, no problem.

It works like this: everytime it recieves a trigger from a modified computer mouse, it adds a frame from the life stream from the DFK and puts it in to a growing AVI file. The mouse is triggered by a switch on my film projector. Everytime a new film frame arrives, it gives a pulse. At the end of the session, I have a 1024x768 AVI file, with the codec of my choice. Capture speed does not matter because the program waits for the trigger.

But I need the life histograms function from IC Capture...
So the question is: is this kind of capturing (stills straight to AVI) possible with IC Capture?

It is not possible to have both IC Capture and Cinecap open at the same time.
The life stream of the camera can not be send to two applications at the same time. Maybe I could fix something with the second fire wire port on the camera?

Thank you in advance,
Fred.

Stefan Geissler
February 10, 2006, 10:51:58
Hello Fred,

First of all, IC Capture and Cinecap can not access at the same time to the camera.
The histogram is not available due to AVI Capture in IC Capture.

There is only one solution: Enhance the Demoapp of IC Imaging Control 3.0 to use a Histogram filter. This means, that AVI Capture and histogram display would be available with a little bit programming amount.
In fact the main programming amount would be the Histgram filter.

If you need some help for programming, please let me know, but please keep in mind, that we do not application development. :-)

videoFred
February 10, 2006, 11:19:04
Stefan,

Thank you for fast answering my question.
Of cource I understand you can not do application development.:)

But I do not need AVI capturing mode, I need still capture mode but not saving the stills in to a directory but in a AVI container. I think this would work with a camera with trigger, right?

This is what Cinecap does.. Everytime I trigger Cinecap, it grabs a frame from the camera life stream and adds it to the AVI container. No matter the time it takes between two trigger pulses. If I record an hour, and give it only four pulses, then I end up with an AVI file with four frames. Cinecap takes over the frame rate of the camera, in this case 15fps, and puts this frame rate in the header of the AVI container, so it plays at 15fps. But this is not important for me, very easy to change in post.

So, there is no way I could use the second fire wire connection from the DFK and send this to another computer? (my laptop, maybe?) I realise this could be dangerous (power supply).

Then I could use Cinecap on the first computer to capture, and IC Capture on the second one to see the histograms.

Fred.

Stefan Geissler
February 10, 2006, 11:27:45
Fred,

I will write in the next week a histogram filter (if i will have enough time...). I will insert it into an AVI Capture application. Thus AVI Capture and Histogramm would be possible. I would send you the complete application, so you could test this.

Using the second FireWire input on another computer wont work with Windows systems, but with Linux.

videoFred
February 10, 2006, 11:33:24
Originally posted by Stefan Geissler
Fred,

I will write in the next week a histogram filter (if i will have enough time...).

This is more than I asked...
Thank you very much.
Please take your time for it.

Fred. (I'm happy:cool: )

Stefan Geissler
February 13, 2006, 11:41:17
Hello Fred,

Please send a request to support@imagingcontrol.com, thus i can send you a sample application. The histogram is very CPU intensive, so i am not sure, whether you will be able to use. But it think it is worth a test.

videoFred
February 20, 2006, 08:34:52
Hello Stefan,

The histogram works fine now, thank you!
My computer is fast enough.. no problem.:cool:

Fred.