PDA

View Full Version : Why are frames being superimposed on top of eachother when I capture an avi?

bradle95
December 1, 2005, 22:29:22
When I record an avi with my JVC camera (this did not happen with my Baslers or a Firei webcam), frame x+1 is superimposed on top of frame x. Going step by step, the same image runs for both frames. Then frame x+3 is being superimposed on frame x+2, and so on throughout the entire file. Why is this, and how can I change it so that each frame is its own frame? Is there a codec setting that I need to change? Or is their some way that I need to configure a ringbuffer? Any ideas?

Stefan Geissler
December 2, 2005, 09:59:29
Hello,

this sounds, that you have found interlacing. I think the JVC camera is normal camcorder, that provides interlaced images.
The FireI and Basler cameras seem to be CCD cameras that provide non interlaced frames.

bradle95
December 2, 2005, 17:24:54
That sounds right, so the camera is sending the frames to the computer in an interlaced format and IcimagingControl is simply processing what it is receiving. Do you know of a way to de-interlace these frames?

Stefan Geissler
December 5, 2005, 09:11:12
Hello,

No. At this point of time i have only a vague idea. With IC Imaging Control 3.0 you can insert own desgined filters. If you have a good deinterlacing algorithm, you could implement it.

Another way would displayin both half images (fields) in sequence. The missing lines would have to interpolated. You would recieve a live display with 50 fps instead of 25 fps.

bradle95
December 5, 2005, 16:36:29
Ok, I'll give that a shot with the personalized filters. So far, I have been trying to split the fields, I just have not found a way to do so yet. I have tried a couple of 3rd party programs to take the avi that I have saved and split the fields, but they have just given me two images with the original problem. I think that I probably need to use a specific encoder that will allow the fields to be split properly. Does this sound right, and if so any idea on an appropriate encoder?

Stefan Geissler
December 6, 2005, 11:30:10
Hello,

i must surrender, i have no suggestions for a codec that removes the interlacing effects in a good way. You may search the internet for a codec.

bradle95
December 6, 2005, 19:22:40
Stefan, I found out the cause of the problem. It was a resolution issue. I had the video format at 360x240. When I bumped it up to 720x480, I got the full odd and even horizontal line separation rather than just a blurred image. Now I am able to split the field and deinterlace. I thought that I should let you know in case anyone else has this problem. Just make sure that they have their resolution high enough. Thanks for your help.

Stefan Geissler
December 7, 2005, 09:42:12
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!